40 religious leaders speak out against Palin , Fox, & Gingrich "hate Speech" on Mosque issue, thoughts?

Today more than 40 prominent, diverse faith leaders and religion scholars in New York and across the country issued a statement calling the rhetoric of pundits like Palin and Gingrich exactly what it is -- an appeal to "xenophobia and religious bigotry."

http://blog.faithinpubliclife.org/2010/08/faith_leaders_support_cordoba.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:22 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• awesomeness!
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:42 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• There are plenty of survivors of victims from both the towers and the fire department who have spoken out in favor of the center being built. I take their feelings into consideration before those of people 1000 miles away who've never been there, knew nobody at the WTC or the Pentagon that day, and only parrot what they've read on FB. There was an article the other day I'll have to dig up - they took a survey of NY residents - most of the opposition was from outside NYC, upstate, and of those who opposed, the majority said they hadn't really paid attention to any of what was going on, just that they opposed "a mosque at ground zero" but would be willing to consider it with more information.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Bump-ed you! Interestingly enough, you will be slammed for it being a blog (I am glad you found it! Thanks for posting) and then will come the "these 40 don't speak for us" comments....

I have heard quite a few clergy and some of our little nuns make similar comments. Leadership isn't about instilling fear!

Have a great Sunday Sweets!
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 11:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• They are appealing to fear and bigotry. I have said so much on this issue I almost can't think of anything else to say. People want to make comparisons between Muslims and terrorists, lord knows I haven't changed anyone's mind. Go ahead and be afraid until the next boogeyman comes up to take the place of the scary scary Muslims, and then you can try to restrict their rights.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Here let me add my name, STEPHENIE WEISSINGER to their list. I agree with all those they disagree with.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Thanks, Sweets. ITA- painting with a broad brush is counterproductive.

Lack of education and knowledge only creates more fear and tension.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Tes, itsmesteph, They can add me to the list too.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• "But only just over half of all New Yorkers, even city residents say they have been following the news about the proposed mosque closely." "Two of ten New Yorkers agree more with supporters that say the proposed Cultural Center would demonstrate the presence of moderate Muslims and serve as a monument to religious tolerance than with opponents that say the project is an offense to the memory of those killed in the attacks on 9/11 and that it displays unacceptable insensitivity. Nearly four in ten agree more with the opponents and 38 percent think both sides have a legitimate case. Over half of all New Yorkers and NYC residents either agree that the project would promote tolerance or are, at least, willing to listen."

Found it

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Hopefully what will happen is we will see more and more people speak out like this. I know that there are plenty of people out there who agree with this line of thinking. Its all a matter of showing that we're here, that we have a voice, and that we will not allow others to speak for us, regardless of whether they think they can or not.

There may be some (or even many) Christians or Americans who are against the Mosque (and other things), but that doesn't mean they speak for ALL Christians or Americans (or Jews, or Muslims, or scholars, if you get what I mean), and its very important that those of use who aren't being spoken for by others say something, or else its assumed those others speak for us, and that we agree with them.

If we don't stand up and say "Not me!" then our silence only gives support to the claims of those who are standing up to say something, even though we may not agree with what they say....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I'm glad some prominent leaders are speaking out against the fear mongering. It's about time someone called them on their B.S.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 4:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2010