at what age do babies start talking???

my daughter is 1 year and four months old and won't talk he can say mom dad thank you but other than that she won't talk is this normal?Also I'm originally from South Africa my fiancee is Israeli should I speak only english to her or also hebrew

greenmaniac

Asked by greenmaniac at 9:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• first off you should speak every laang you know to her. at this time in her life she can retain it so much better than when she is older. children talk at there own speed my 15 month old says a ton of words but i know alot more close to his age who babble. my doc said at that age they should know 1 or 2 words..... shes fine
    mjp2707

Answer by mjp2707 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• yes i agree speak both!! it will be good for her!!
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 11:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• If you speak both, it will slow down her mastery of language a little bit but she will gain so much! By the time she is 2.5, she will be speaking quite will in both.

As for when do babies learn to talk... it sort of depends on what you mean by talk. By 18 months, most babies have a vocabulary of 10 to 20 words. Those words can be simple sounds (dee) or partial words (loon) instead of the full words (balloon) but as long as she uses it the same way each time and you come to understand what she means, it counts as a word.

Babies start stringing words together around 24 months - more cookie, big truck. Short sentences follow a few months later - I need more cookie, bye bye big green truck. By the time they are 3, they can hold conversations and start driving you batty with "why?" questions.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• speak all of them to your child they will pick up on it fast.. My daughter is 21 months and still dosent say much but the dr said that it was fine it all kinda depends on the surroundings for example im a stay at home mom and i dont really know anyone in my town that has kids the same ages as mine so my 21 month old is only around her sister who is 2 months old... If they have older brothers and sister it makes a big difference
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2008