Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flu Shot dillema!

My pedi. wants my 10 month old daughter to get her flu shot. Im still undecided on this, but she goes in on thursday. Should I get it for her? And she has a cold (sneezy, runny nose) so will that affect anything? Also, my husband got his, but due to an allergy to thrimerosal I cannot get mine. So question is, basically, what is your opinion on this? Do I get my daughter the shot or no? If not what should I tell her doctor is my reasoning?

Answer Question

Asked by tiffers32788 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 5 (78 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Is your daughter around a lot of kids??? Does she go to daycare? If so i would def. get her one. I know a lot of parents are against getting their child vaccinated but in my opinion... if my baby doesnt have to get sick and I am the one that can determine the chances of him catching anything... I say stick him. If she is at home with you or your hubby all day and around just a few people... I wouldnt worry about one this year. Just make sure she doesnt go around anyone sick.

    Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • My little boy is 15 months old and I plan to give him the Flu Shot. I talked to my doctor about it in length and have decided it is the best option. When kids under the age of 2 get colds they can become very very sick. The shot is going to help prevent your little one from getting a serious sickness. If you really feel like you do not want to get the flu shot for your little one than your doctor has to understand. He cannot make you do something that you do not want to do. In the end it is your decision. Do you research and make your decision after that. Good Luck!

    Answer by frapanda at 10:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • Allergy to thimerosal sounds a little odd when thimerosal is a poison. Your little one may very well have the same allergy by the way. I'm not getting the flu shot because it's proven ineffective again and again. Not to mention the toxic ingredients. As far as your doctor goes - tell him you decided against it. No need to explain. If you feel you must just tell him you're worried about allergies or side effects or even the ingredients. Good luck with your decision!

    Answer by sjanel at 11:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • I would ask about her having a possible allery first, since you have one. But I think it's a good idea to get if she goes to daycare or is around a lot of other people on a regular basis.

    Answer by AmiJanell at 11:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • technically you dont have to give her doctor a reason for not wanting the shot, its your choice.. you can also choose when you want the vaccines.

    Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • 2 of my daughters are able to do the flu-mist that gets sprayed up their nose. so maybe that would be an option for your daughter. My middle daughter has to have the shot because she has asthma, so we always get flu shots...too dangerous without them

    Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.