How do I get my 12 month old to swallow food?

My daughter ever since she was born never wanted her bottle. I have to force her to eat every time. Now we are trying to transition her to solids and she chews everything up then spits it back out. I need help!

JennyBlack22

Asked by JennyBlack22 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need help and not from cm. It sounds like your baby has tactile sensitivity. I hope your baby is breastfeeding and that's why she won't take a bottle. No way a baby should only have formula for 12 mo. Even a bf baby needs solids by 9 mo. Your baby is in danger of having to have a feeding tube.

The baby's doctor should have referred you to a developmental doctor or clinic. They should have done an evaluation including for tactile issues. If your daughter has tactile sensitivities then occupational therapy can help. If you have been forcing her to eat for 12 mo therapy may be a rough process and may involve long hospitalizations (weeks).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I am breastfeeding but I pump and give it to her in a bottle. She weighs a little over 20 pounds, but she's very active. I did feed her baby food but she quit eating it so I've been trying to give her solids. I just did an inventory test thing and she ate 2 cheezits, 3 grapes, and 1 teddy graham. In addition, I've been feeding her 5 8oz bottles a day. 4oz breastmilk- 4oz whole milk. But I just see all these babies that are always hungry and chunky and wanting food. She never gets excited to eat. A lot of time she won't take her bottle until she gets really sleepy.. Do you still think I need to talk to her pediatrician?
    JennyBlack22

Comment by JennyBlack22 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• You are saying two different things. First you say you have to force feed her and now you say she eats but doesn't get excited. She is underweight but not ftt. You should have been talking to the doctor all along.

Since she doesn't like bottles and is over 12 mo you can stop the bottles. Cups with tubing usually work well with toddlers with feeding issues. You can get tubing at places like ACE hardware by the foot. Get the small tubing that is used for plumbing like ice cube makers. You can use a hole punch and make a hole in a tupperware cup lid and feed the tubing through and it should fit snug. Keep up with pumped milk since she isn't eating, as much as possible.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• She does eat, but I have to make her. I have been talking to her pediatrician, her weight is normal but I just feel like it shouldn't be this hard to feed her.
    JennyBlack22

Comment by JennyBlack22 (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Since she isn't eating much it needs good as food as possible. Meat, sweet potato, avocado, and foods high in food value and many also high in calories and fat. If she won't feed herself then she may eat off your finger better than a spoon. You can put butter or olive oil on food to add calories.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a good breastfeeding website with info on starting solids.

You might try breastfeeding. She may need to breast milk a year or more longer if she isn't going to eat. Whatever bf problems you had before may not be an issue now. Pumping sucks! You might try when she is really sleepy. La Leche League Leaders will help for free.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Thanks for your advice. I think I'm just a worry wart. I just looked at some sample schedules and I feel a lot better.
    JennyBlack22

Comment by JennyBlack22 (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Aug. 15, 2010