Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whats wrong with my son??

OK my son is 4 years old. He gets sick alot, i mean he throws up alot. It is mostly drinks that he throws up. I notice that he throws up drinks that have coloring in it.. like fruit punch or any kind of kool aid. What would be doing this to him?? And Why?

Answer Question
 
MyAngelNick06

Asked by MyAngelNick06 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 6 (126 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • He may have an allergy/intolerance to artificial food colorings if it is just those things that are making him sick. Do a trial off the drinks/foods with food colorings in them and see how he does. If he doesn't get sick on the healthier drinks, then you most likely have your answer & will simply have to teach him to avoid drinks/foods with those chemicals in them. Alternatively, you could take him to his pediatrician and maybe get a referral to a pediatric allergist or gastroenterologist and see what the doctors have to say about it.
    mom2aspclboy

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • i would ask your dr. it could be too much sugar or a reaction to the food coloring, since you mention that. but it could also be a medical condition like reflux or something that could be helped w/medicine. it never hurts to ask a dr. =)
    pugmama

    Answer by pugmama at 1:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • well 1) stop giving them to him! drinks with coloring have very few nutrients anyway.
    2) have your doctor test him for allergies.
    lovinangels

    Answer by lovinangels at 1:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • Agree w/ Mom2aspclboy -- sounds like sensitivity to food coloring or something along those lines. Try giving him only single 100% juices, watered down (like apple, grape, etc), or just water or milk.
    MommaofH2

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • I would take away all drinks besides water and see how he does. Then add in milk after a week. This might help you to drill down on what it is that is causing his problem
    cleanaturalady

    Answer by cleanaturalady at 4:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • ask a doc
    regian19832002

    Answer by regian19832002 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • Artificial colorings are made from coal tar. These types of drinks also have a lot of citric acid in them. He most likely has acid reflux.
    motherofhope98

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • Skip the artifical colors and flavors. We avoid those anyway as they really aren't good for you.
    PhilsBabyMama

    Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • I agree with the ladies above! (Except the rudde comments!) Also, you should keep a jpurnal of everything he eats that made him throw up that day. This is what they told me to do when i took my son and he ended up allergic to peantus and was eating PB&J sandwisches!!! So the jpournal will help them alot in diagnosing him..instead of just having him poked with all those needles to find out what hes allergic to! :) Good luck!
    MamaCass2003

    Answer by MamaCass2003 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

  • It sounds like he probably has an allergy to something that he is drinking. I would call the doctor .
    MooNFaeRie30

    Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.