Do you sell or give away your used baby items?

I have so much stuff - strollers, toys, clothes, etc.
I'm debating about whether or not to try to sell it or just give it away.

Is it worth the hassle of preparing everything to sell?
Are there ways to sell it that are better than others? (Craigslist vs Ebay vs yard sale vs consignment shop)?

ARmom

Asked by ARmom at 1:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would suggest Trying to sell them. that is what i did. so if i gave something away i knew that it was going to be used... but i am not Losing in giving it.... if you do give it to a charity make sure to get the tax receipt for your tax return. large items are usually done best locally because shipping is expensive now - craigslist works well and local paper. and garage sales are so easy.... nice stuff that is smaller is great for ebay.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I always sell everything we paid for, either through a consignment store, putting a free ad in the paper or in a yard sale. Stuff that was given to us we give to people we know, donate to goodwill or something like that or post on freecycle.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• If you like garage sale you can sell it or just donate the stuff. I love the extra money so I like just having Garage sale plus if you get a friend. It kinda fun... Good Luck.
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 1:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Anything that I knew that somebody that I knew would not be able to put to good use I would sell at consignment, the rest would go to yard sale and then to goodwill.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I gave most of my baby stuff to family members who were expecting.. But still had plenty of stuff left. I wound up having 2 yard sales, which I made pretty good money with. & I still have a bunch of stuff, lol. But a friend of mine just goes to the consignment shop, she said its less of a hassle.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• If I know someone that needs what dd isn't using anymore, I give it to them. Everything else I think will wind up in a garage sale. I'm keeping the big things like the bassinet until we make up our minds on if we want another baby or if she is our only one.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• craigslist or a yard sale if you know anyone that needs it you could give it away
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I do both, considering what it is and what condition it is in. I wish I could afford to give everything away, but I can't in good conscience do that. I have sold most of the big things. I just found a consignment shop and plan to try that for clothes, because selling clothes on craigslist is a huge hassle. All I get are people who want to buy a $2 pair of shorts but don't have a car so they expect me to drive 40 minutes each way to deliver it to them. For my own mental health, I can't do it any more, lol. It makes me furious what people expect!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I gave away most of the baby stuff to people that needed it and donated the rest to the crisis pregnancy center.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 1:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• We sold the hardwear .. . The hardware was sold it was in very good condition and we got most of our money back .. We used all Eddie Bauer hardwear items for our daughters. We did however give away a lot of clothes to family and friends too.So we did both actually.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 1:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2010