When can I give my baby whole milk?

When is a good age to start giving whole milk? My other worry is he's been on a soy formula, can his little tummy even handle the milk?

philipsmommy125

Asked by philipsmommy125 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 12 months and i would wait longer just b/c he was on soy.... have you started him on baby food yet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• if he's been taking soy then i would hold off on the cow milk and check with your ped before giving it.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i start off by mixing an ounce of milk at a time,into the formula.each week i add another ounce. at first it'll upset his stomach,after a week or two he should be fine,if not go back to formula and wait a few more months.
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• first why was he on soy formula? if your peds told you to switch than ask him about cow milk. 12 months is when you switch. my son is allergic to milk and i couldnt switch him over untill recently hes 3 now, but my 1 year old was alble to as soon as he turned one. good luck
    marley1082

Answer by marley1082 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Talk to your doctor!!!!
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Usually after the 1st birthday they can be switched to milk. Since your child was on soy formula you should ask the doctor if real milk is ok before giving your child real milk. My nephew was on soy formula (he is lactose intollerant) and when he turned 1 his parents switched him to soy milk.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I started my kids o milk when they were 8 months old and they were fine.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• if you start a baby on milk before a year they aren't getting enough nutrients and the proteins in cows milk alone without processing will cause a babies intestines to bleed leading to anemia. 12 months to start but start slowly since hes been in soy...and why on soy, was regular formula an issue?
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I switched my son over to cow milk when he was 8 months old; however the standard is 12 months.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Doctor's say 1 year is when their bodies can digest it well.
    sweetp97024

Answer by sweetp97024 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 8, 2008