HOW DO I GET MY 4 YEAR OLD TO GO ON THE POTTY HE WILL PUT PULL UPS ON BUT WONT TELL ME HE HAS TO PEE OR POPPY?HELP

WELL IF I DONT PUT A PULLUP ON HIM HE WILL BE NAKED ALL DAY AND SIT ON HIS POTTY HE WILL NOT PUT UNDERWEAR ON.

ANGIE1963

Asked by ANGIE1963 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• See,the problem with pull ups is they r just like diapers. They pull pee and poop away from the child. Now,I used regular underwear because the others r like diapers. Try regular underwear and the first time he slips he won't like the feeling and he will use the potty. U tell him these r big boy underwear and u can tell him u will make his favorite meal for dinner or take him to the park or read him a story. What do u think?? Remember u r mom,u may have to use a little tough love. Let me know how it works.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• You may just have to let him run naked for a day or so. This is why I skipped the Pull-Ups all together. It seems like they just delay the whole process. If he doesn't have a Pull-up on he won't want to just pee or poop on himself and he'll get the idea with some encouragement. Good luck!
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 1:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Tomorrow morning wake up and when it's time to get dressed, tell him in a very matter of fact way "no more diapers during the day, only at night" "time to wear big boy underpants". You may also find it helpful to have a treat that he likes handy. I used swedish fish for one of the twins and m&ms for the other. You'll have to stick to him like glue the first couple of days and there will be accidents but he'll catch on and then you'll be able to back off a bit. You can also check him regularly to see if he's dry and make a big deal about that. When it's time to use the potty, be matter of fact "it's time to go potty". You might also say to him "you don't have to go but I do need you to try".
    Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:09 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I don't want this to be taken as harsh or rude but does your child have developmental delays? There is really no reason for a child that age to be wearing pull-ups or diapers. The poster that said pull-ups delay the process was correct. Leave him naked. Tell him to get his pee/poop in the potty. If he has an accident clean it up and tell him it is ok get it in there next time. (Yes I have potty trained 2 of my own girl and a boy)
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 2:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Big boy underpants after he realizes how gross he will feel he shouldnt want to use the poop on himself any more. He needs to realize that wearing underwear is not a choice. Try potty training videos like Elmo.
    DACIA79

Answer by DACIA79 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I agree with everyone. I never used Pull Ups because they are just diapers. We went straight into underware.
    koyanddagansmom

Answer by koyanddagansmom at 9:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i am having the same prob rite now, my lil girl will be 3 next wekk and will use her potty to peepee if i am goin to the potty and she needs to, she tries anyway, whether she needs to or not, and she will take off her own diaper and put it in the trash, then she wants to run around naked, sometimes she will go get a diaper and ask me to put it on her, others, if she doesnt, i always wait to see what she does, she will refuse to let me put one on, jus takin it off as soon as i get it on her, and no punishment or time out/takin toys away, ect works to stop her, she is very determined! so i now go to potty all the time, to try to get her to go,and im hopin she jus gets it in her head that she wants to be a big girl and get a present very soon lol. she has not yet poopoo'd in her potty, idk why, she jus pees in it, and if she is runnin around naked, i tried this for a bit,hopin it mite work, well, it doesnt work, for me at least..
    paigeebugsmommy

Answer by paigeebugsmommy at 10:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Lose the pull ups. I know it sounds like that is an issue all it's own but seriously that is the only way. let him be naked, he get over it quickly.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 10:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I had to bribe my last child. He did not care if he sat in poop all day. Pull up or underwear he did not care! Finally I bribed him with MnM's! He still has accidents or purposedents lol but they are few and far between. My oldest was almost 4 before he potty trained. He knew when he had to go bc he always pulled off whatever he was wearing and would just go in the floor. Never had any accidents. Then my girl potty trained herself at 22 months I believe. Every child is different. It is just a matter of finding what works. I agree about getting rid of the pull ups. I know its easier on us but they just enable. GL
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:42 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Then have him be naked. Get rid of the pullups. Have you tried letting him pick out some "cool big boy undies?"
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2010