Was Your Older Brother or Sister Mean to You/ How Did it Make You Feel?

My sister was 12 yrs older and she didn't like me & let me know it. I was always in her stuff, what little sister isn't? She even told my DD a few yrs ago she hated me as I was growing up. She locked me in a closet fr an hr 1 time,, so I'm clostraphobic.(no idea how to spell it). My straight hair was ugly so I always had a perm. What damage she did, and probably didn't even realize it. My brother was 1-1/2 yrs older and we were very close.My Mom worked a lot so sh'e just say, "Oh, she doesn't mean it." She should have told her to stop saying those things to me. Any way did you have that done, and how did it make you feel?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• My sister is ten years older than me. She spent the first 50 years of my life telling me how much she hated me and making my life miserable, making me feel like some second class citizen, never good enough. I had to stop letting her make me feel that way. I took control of my own life and feelings. Our mom died a few years ago and I figured my sister would write me off and never speak to me. Nope. Turns out she gave me a hard time bc she was jealous OF ME!!!!! Now we are the best of friends. Never judge why folks do what they do. Just learn to control your own feelings. People can't make you feel a certain way, you allow it. I learned that and over time learned to not take things personally. It's all good if you stay in control.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• 1 sis is about 14yrs older. and shes always lived away from me that i remember.. so we have generally always gotten along lol...
    my other sister is 12yrs older. She was never mean. but im sure i got on her nerves at times & she got aggitated. When I was 7+ she would let me stay at her house (or who ever bf she was with).. She was the "cool" sister & let me get away with alot of stuff!!!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My sister is 5 yrs older than I am. We were raised by our father who had to work most of the time, so as soon as she was old enough, she was the sitter. She enjoyed being my boss and teasing me. When I threatened to tell Dad, she would always have something on me. The only time I can ever remember "having the upper hand" was when she had a boy in her room and wouldn't let me in. I wanted in so I ran down the hallway into her door, it opened enough for my pinky to stick into the hinge side, so when she slammed the door my finger was stuck. I screamed bloody murder and she got in trouble for having a boy in her room. That broken finger was worth it to me!
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have an older sister and a younger sister and none of us have ever gotten along. The both of them always made me feel inadequate, and it continues now as adults. I made a resolution last New Year's to eliminate any and all sources of pain, anger and stress from my life, beginning with family. I think cutting these 2 women out of my life was 1 of the best decisions I have EVER made!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 3:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010