I have a five month old who will be going this week to put tubes in his ears

Are there any mothers out there who had children that had to have tubes put in did it hinder or help.

vejr

Asked by vejr at 1:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Actually it depends on the person. My nephew had to get tubes in 3 times because it kept falling out before the canal and everything was ready. But after that it was a great help. The only problem is your baby is 5 months old, and he isn't going to understand the feeling. It might be stressful for you, but he will be cranky and unhappy for a while, and maybe even try to play with his ears, just try to avoid that because you don't want to have to do it over and over again.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have not had to go through this but working in peds I know that it only helps. The next time your lo has an ear infection it will only drain, but not cause severe pain. I hope he doesn't have anymore.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• please just read this information before going through with the tubes. it can't hurt, and it may stop your little baby from having minor surgery and antibiotics too!

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/ear-infection.htm

good luck mama!

i wish you and your baby the best of luck!!!

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• All 3 of my children had constant ear infections from almost birth so they all went through the ear tube procedure. I always waited until they were a year but that's just me. They had instant relief with the tubes and would do it again in a heartbeat! The night after procedure one child was a little cranky but the other two you couldn't even tell. I had bad ears as a kid and my parents didn't do tubes at a young age, I had hearing loss and eventually had a perfirated eardrum, way worse to heal then just tubes. If your dr. is recommending it I say go for it cause they know what they're doing and it does help.
    janelleq

Answer by janelleq at 2:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My 12 year old son had tubes put into his years before he was 2. He had ear infections all the time.. After he had he tubes put in he started talking better, I think bc of all the ear infections he could not hear very well and hindered his hearing which made him speak un clearly. Most of the time the tubes SHOULD fall out within a year. Well they did not and exactly a year from when he had them put in he got what I thought was another ear infection. It was a infection bc skin started growing over his tube. He had to go have them removed.. Knock on wood he did not have another infection until 2 months ago BUT it was a swimmer ear infection. The doctor stated that kids who have tubes in at one time in their life or more likely to get swimmers ear... So I would like to sat tubes DID help my son. Good luck momma and I know this is a scary time BUT just think your child will feel better..
    froggymommaof3

Answer by froggymommaof3 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• my friends say they help...gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2010