when do most obgyns get to see if your dialating???

senior_2OO8

Asked by senior_2OO8 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• mine did during the last 2 months...
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• The last month I was check, but I never really did any dilating at that point, it wasn't until I was in labor that anything happened.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Actually, I would forgo getting checked for dilation. It tells you absolutely nothing and can introduce harmful bacteria into the vagina. You can be dilated for weeks and before you go into labor or dilate once labor starts.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i agree with Braden, but at the same time i can understand the want to know what that baby's gonna get out lol. with my son they didn't check until i was 40wks. with my dd, they weren't going to check until 39wks, but i asked them to. what overcome me to ask, i've no idea. it hurts like HELL to get checked. and when they stripped my membranes...omg i thought i was going to die. they didn't check again until i was 41wks, and then not until i was in labor. ( dd came a week late..i had just gotten to 42wks)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yeah... my OB doesn't do cervical checks unless there's a problem. A) it hurts - way worse than a pap B) it can introduce bacteria into your uterus C) It doesn't really mean anything. You can be 1 cm and go into labor that night or walk around at 3-4 cenemeters for weeks.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• oops when not what lol sorry
    armywife43

• they checked me after 37 weeks or unless something is wrong
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• If you choose to have it done, it's usually at 36 weeks or later.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 3:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have never had it done in my pregnancies. (It doesn't mean anything so many providers never even offer, but if they had I still would've declined, lol).

If you want it done you can ask for it at any point. And when a provider will tend to do it varies... You'd need to ask your doctor what is the routine around there.

Do you want it?
    Why?
    What will you do with that information?

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2010