can someone tell me how to keep my daughter from screaming at the top of her lungs no matter where we are at?

ok so my dd is almost 9 mths old. not old enough to be spanked. however she has learned the 2 yr old tantrum scream from a cousin of hers and she does it all the time espcially if she wants something or wants your attention, no matter what is going on. how can i stop this or will it go away

shortstuff69

Asked by shortstuff69 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 9 months she is just learning what she is capable of. My son is 10 months and has picked up that screaming too from my 2 yr old son. But it isn't a "fit", it is more of a scream to hear himself or to get someone to talk to him. If she justs wants some attention, and that ends it talk to her. She has no idea that is not acceptable at that age.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• In the privacy of home, I would try a pretty good swat on her bare leg. Remember, if she's old enough to learn it, she's old enough to unlearn it. I think the earlier you break this habit, the better off you and she will be. A screaming child is very difficult for anyone to be around.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• The best remedy for tantrums in a 9 month old infant is often simply to ignore them. If necessary, move your baby to a soft carpet, where he can't hurt himself, then turn your attention to something else. A very persistent baby may tantrum for several minutes. If you are consistent, your baby should get the idea fairly quickly and the tantrums will be brief.

Children will still have tantrums when frustrated, and sometimes when they are just overtired, hungry, or feeling miserable for no particular reason (which happens!) But if children are taught that they don't get their way by having tantrums, they soon learn more positive ways of requesting what they want.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• she def. does it for attetion, bc when we give it to her she will smile and start screaming again if we go about what we was doing. this is more of a at home thing bc she is a very social baby and loves to be the center of attention. she is my first and only. so and i are tring to break her of this. but it dont help when both of her grandmas give into her
    shortstuff69

Comment by shortstuff69 (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• if you know why she's screaming, tell her you know she's mad/sad/upset, ect. and then let her know that you know why. "sweety i knows your mad because mommy said you can't have that toy" this helps her know that you understand, it helps with her vocabulary and speech as well. i know when my dd kept at it, i'd pop her mouth. sometimes i still have to, and she's 2. little ones that are your dd's age don't understand inside voices from outside voices yet. if you have to, gently tap her on the mouth and say "no screaming", not a pop, just a tap. don't yell it at her either. do it in a calm voice. don't let her get a reaction from you, it will only make her think it's funny and do it even more. it won't be overnight either. she's only 9mnths, it might take a couple years for her to get it, depends on how consistant you are. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Is it an angry scream, or just a yell? My son went through a phase where he was testing his vocal capabilities, and would just yell sometimes for no apparent reason. He wasn't mad, didn't need anything....just yelling to yell. We just let him. Sometimes he would yell out of excitement or if he saw something interesting - like, he would point to a person at the grocery store and yell at them for no apparent reason, lol. Embarrassing, but what can you do? He wasn't doing it to get any particular reaction from us, just yelling as a reaction to something he saw. he grew out of it. Tantrum screaming is a different matter, and I think that is best handled by IGNORING IT. Baby wants attention - baby screams - baby does not get desired attention - baby stops screaming. If you react, even by spanking, that's still attention. some kids like any attention, even negative attention like being yelled at or spanked. Ignore it.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• This really is her just learning her voice and what her voice can get her. It is the first step towards talking, not actual words of course, but her ability to use her "language" as a tool for talking. I would never swat/spank a baby cause they have learned the power of their voice, I would never swat or spank a baby who can't be spoken to first.

What I have always done with all of my kids is put my fingers to their lips and made a shushing sound, then I would do it to myself and talk in a very soft voice. This doesn't stop the behavior right away, there is no magic cure but in time you will noyice it become softer and softer. I also do not give them what it is they are screaming about right away, I wait till the scream has died down and then offer it up.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No child should be spanked, hit, popped, bit, pinched, or hurt in other ways. Unkind mothers may tell you to do these things. You need to learn to avoid problems before they happen and what to do if they do. She may be under too much stress and going too many places. Usually problems happen when little people are stressed, tired or hungry.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2010