Should I get them a dog?

I have 5 daughters all under the age of 10 but above 5. They are trying to get me to get them a dog. I knew when I was little I always wanted one but I am not sure if they will take care of him. What do you think? Should we get one or not? If we did it would be a small breed probably a yorkie or a dachshund. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Pets

• That is all up to you. I personally would MAYBE have a dog if I wasn't allergic to animals. But I wouldn't have one and think the kids were going to be the ones taking care of it, realistically it will be you.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Only if you are willing to take care of it, because I would bet they won't.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Are they good with taking care of other things, like their rooms, and chores? That was the deciding factor in getting my girl a dog when she was 3. We told her if she could go a month without us reminding her to do her chores or having to correct her with them we'd get her a dog. 5 weeks later, she had her puppy :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• You shouldn't get a dog if you expect kids to take care of it. A small dog usually isn't recommended for kids. Since they can be hurt more easily they are more likely to protect themselves. That means kids can get bit. If you want an easy dog a med size lab mix that is around a year old and potty trained would be a good choice. They need little care and are happy family dogs. I foster dogs and help place them. When dogs start having bad behaviors they usually aren't getting enough exercise. Dog parks are great and labs love them.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• dogs are alot of work .i always say its like having another kid.you cant leave a dog home alone for to long .you have to train them .do your kis do chores and clean up after themselves .i would think about it and make sure you are ready for this because if the kids dont take care of him or help then its all on you
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think you should get a dog, BUT if you have young children you shouldnt get a small dog. The dog might get hurt. YOu should get a medium sized dog not quite the size of a lab
    Chelsea_LeBlanc

Answer by Chelsea_LeBlanc at 2:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• If YOU want a dog for YOURSELF then get one. If you are only getting one for the kids then no you shouldn't get a dog. All the care of the dog will be your responsibilty. Dogs need to be groomed. (Nails, baths, ear cleaning, brushing and combing) These are things kids are NOT able to handle. Also dogs need training again something kids do not have the power to do.
    Momma2Warriors

Answer by Momma2Warriors at 4:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Only get a dog if YOU plan on taking care of it. Don't get one then get rid of it because they didn't take care of it...
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• We got a Cockerpoo puppy and my 10 yrod GR-DD wntd a dog really bad. Well after being here 1 day, she realized they was a lot of work as well as cute & fun. She actually told me she chgd her mind & didn't think she wntd one. My DD also wntd on,e but after watching us w/ traing, moving things so their not chewed on, she chgd her mind. She sd the kids will be disappointed, but she couldn't hndle the training, chewing things, and 4 kids. So for all their sake, including the dog, she backed out of a cute little puppy.Now they play w/mine here and at their house she is so good. Maybe you shd think twice abt it.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think all kids should have a dog if Everyone in the family is willing to do their part in taking care of it, but it is alot of hard work especially, when they are puppies- I have a Yorkie/Chi- they are not the best dogs for kids- They really get attached to one person the most & are somewhat Nervous- Please check the shelter first; there are So Many just waiting to give your kids all the Love they can! Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 7:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2010