How do I deal with crying at naptime?

My 15 month old son has always been good at nap time. But that changed last week when he was sick and one of the times I put him up to nap he cried so much he threw up a little. Now he cries every time we head for his room. At night he will cry for less then 5 minutes and go to sleep, but with naps he will not sleep. He will stand and cry in his crib, I'll only let him cry for a max of 15 minutes. I'm also getting very mad that he will not nap. I know I shouldn't but I've screamed at him at couple of times while he was in his crib. I don't know what to do because when he skips naps he is very cranky and will spend most of time until he does nap crying. I can't take it, please help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've been in your shoes...for most of my son's infant years..he's 2 now. He STILL fights nap time!! I used to have to run a white noise machine, you can find them online or at Walmart, Canadian tire etc. It helps them fall asleep. If that doesn't work I also used to rock him in a rocking chair, have you tried either of these options?
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 2:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have those days and nights. You are not alone. My oldest just turned 2 and I too get mad and yell and then know I shouldn't have, it's not really his "fault". Maybe adjust his nap time. We just recently did that and it's better. The kids don't even eat breakfast till 9, so noon or 12:30 is too early. So we now eat between 1 adn 1:30. Then watch Yo Gabba Gabba ( I record it ) then directly to nap. I find if they are full from eating they nap better.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Oh yeah, I run a box fan in both their rooms for "white noise" but recently my 2 yr old has wanted "singing" so I play a soft lullabye cd along with the fan. What ever works.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:48 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• well you can try soothing him reading to him singing to him or before you put him for his nap take him a bath with lavender to calm him down then put him to sleep
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2010