chores for a 4 year old

what would be some good chores for a 4 year old? my son when at his fathers house gets his own meals, and is made to do grown up fend for yourself type things. it's frustrating cause he thinks he has to do it here. He now has a new baby brother and i was thinking i wanted yo give him responsibilities so he knows what is ok to do around here. did this make any sense

natasha86

Asked by natasha86 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my 4 year old DS love to help daddy in the yard by picking up sticks and stuff before daddy mows
    He also loves helping put away dishes such as silverware and basically anything that's in my bottom cupboards
    He also picks up laundry (that him, his sister, and hubby leave laying about) and puts it in the laundry room
    He's also getting pretty good at folding laundry such as washcloths and his own clothing.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I never used the word chores. It sounds so bad. I was a single mom with three sons. We did things together. I often used "first, then". First we clean up the living room, then we go to Pizza Hut for lunch. First clean your room, then you can have a friend over.

They did their own laundry as soon as they were tall enough. The last person done eating put the dishes in the dishwasher and neatened the kitchen. They ate pretty fast and with little eating issues. We homeschooled and it worked out with me being a full time doctoral student. I didn't do too much and they had no chores or punishments.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My daughter has been doing chores for a while now. She picks up after the dogs, feeds and waters them, keeps her room clean, keeps her bathroom clean, puts her clothes away, brings her basket to the washer when it's full and puts them in, then helps put them in the dryer when they're washed, takes them out of the dryer and to her room to put away. She rinses the dishes when I wash them (when she's not at school), puts away the plastic and non-sharp stuff that she can reach, scrapes her dishes and puts them in the sink when she's done with them, clears the table for dinner, and keeps all her stuff picked up. She's 5 1/2 now and has been doing this since she was big enough.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• putting his clothes into the hamper, picking up his shoes and toys of course. he could probably vacuum, my son does a little bit here and he can fold some of his clothes. he could wipe the babies toys off for you and bring you diapers and stuff for the baby
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I don't see why he can't continue to do some of the things he does at his dad's house. Chores at this age are merely being part of a family type things anyway.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 10:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• ^^^^all great ideas. I have nothing to add :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:34 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• pick up his room, help put away folded laundry, my LO puts the garbage bag in, picks up stick and toys in the yard before we mow...helps walk to get the mail and carries the junk mail back...
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 6:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• picking things up, put clothes in the hamper, help dust, run the vaccuum or assist
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• DD is almost 3. She cleans up her room, helps make her bed in the morning, takes out the bathroom trash (that was completely her choice), helps dust (again, her choice) sets the table, helps clear the table, helps sort the laundry, puts her clothes away (ok, well socks & underware)
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2010