Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

How far can a married person take thier kids without violating the law?

My husband and I are ALWAYS fighting. He always threatens to take our kids from me. Legally how far can he go? We live in Indiana. I'm just curious as to if he can legally leave the state or can only go so many miles or what. I just want to save my own butt on this.


Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • He can take the kids as far as he wants - and so can you. You both have full custody of them unless a court has decided otherwise.

    Answer by scout_mom at 5:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • Unless you have some sort of custody agreement, they can take them anywhere. They are his kids too.

    Answer by layh41407 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • because you're married, he has custody too. He can go as far as he wants to unless there is a court order in place stating otherwise. All the courts & cops would consider it as is a custody dispute.

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • I'd go to and link on KNOW THE LAWS. It's for women who are in domestic violence relationships and some leave the state with the kids. See what your law says or call the local domestic violence shelter and ask what the law is. Just bc it's your dh it's ok. It's still about taking a child across state lines. You can also call the police or the state attorney's office and ask.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • I'm from IN and once I was divorced my son couldn't leave the state ever. He never met his father yet we were trapped in IN. I couldn't take him to my father's funeral in FL. He couldn't go to King's Island, Chicago, or on scout trips. To move to AZ when he was 19 we had to have him emancipated. Now he is 22 and he has problems every year with financial aid because he is emancipated.

    If you are married and neither has filed for divorce and custody I think a parent can take a take the child. If you are divorced it is kidnapping, amber alert and everything but if you are married and the person is the parent I think they have the right to travel with the child. If you can't trust your husband then you may consider if you can risk staying with him.


    Answer by Gailll at 3:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • He can take them as far as he wanted and you never see them again unless you have a court order stating otherwise.

    Answer by kbishop8688 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2010