Website for nutrition comparisions of different foods?

I have been googling for a half hour and haven't found what I am looking for - I hope one of you can help me. I am hoping for a site that gives comparisons and/or ratings of different foods. For example, my current question is: What wheat cracker is the best in terms of nutrition? I have gone to the store and looked at labels but it's too hard to keep them all straight when I have a toddler with me who is not at all amused by looking at cracker labels. I am also curious about wheat breads and other grocery products. It seems like a diet or nutrition site would have this info, but I am not finding it. Help!

getrealmama

Asked by getrealmama at 3:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• http://www.twofoods.com/

You can enter in two different brands of the same similar product or two different foods.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• http://nutritiondata.self.com/
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 3:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• MTM - thanks!! That looks great! Jeremysmom, yours is cool too but not as much detail as I was looking for. Thank you both so much for your help.
    getrealmama

Comment by getrealmama (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• All I can suggest is that when you are reading the labels ingredients are listed in the order of how much is in the food. Example- if the ingredients say wheat flour, salt, sugar then it has more wheat flour than salt, more salt than sugar, and then suger. If it said salt, sugar, wheat flour then it has more salt than sugar, more sugar then wheat flour, and then wheat flour. I hope that made sense.

I watch Dr. Oz a lot and he says don't buy bread if sugar is in the first five ingredients and stay away from the word "enriched". I would think that holds true for crackers too. Whole grain breads and crackers are best. And much better than those made with enriched flour. It is hard to find bread with sugar not listed in the first five ingredients, but I do see a lot with it in the first three and then I stay away from them. Same with cereals. If sugar is listed in the first few ingredients it has a lot of sugar. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:19 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Thanks Eliza. I was never much of a label reader until having my son, so this is new to me. He tends towards being constipated even though he eats lots of fruit, so fiber is something I am keeping my eye on. I just bought some wheat germ and I am trying to get in the habit of adding it to things when I can. He likes crackers more than bread, so that is of particular interest right now too. I am guessing there are better choices then whole grain goldfish...but maybe not.
    getrealmama

Comment by getrealmama (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• So, take a look at the label of the goldfish crackers and the imgredients will be listed in the order they are in the product. From the highest percentage to lowest. It's true that whole grains and the sugars in fresh fruit should help with constipation.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2010