Is your baby sleeping through the night?

Hi moms, I just wanted to know what age your baby was when he/she started sleeping the whole night. My baby is about 8 mts now and I would absolutely love it if I could get her to sleep through the night- is it realistic though to expect her to sleep the whole night? and what worked for you when the baby was wakeful?

kittymom83

Asked by kittymom83 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, 5 hours is considered a "sleep through". The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My kids were 3 yo. My grandson is 22 mo and he is down to nursing only twice a night. His mom works and he used to nurse 4 times a night.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My DD is 14 months old and still doesn't sleep through the night GL!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• this is my 5th baby, and she sleeps through the night. she has from the very beginning (she is only 2 1/2 months old!)
    i will not be surprised if this changes : )
    my 1st son was down to one waking at 6 months.
    my 2 yo's have gone through weird sleeping changes. they still are not always sleeping through the night!

don't worry mama! your sleeping days will return!
    we had an interesting morning, the kids all got up and took care of themselves, while dh and i slept in!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My now 19month old has been sleeping through the night since she was 3 months.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Thanks for the advice! I know, I know. I just miss sleeping so much. I have an 8 yr old and I thought I was done with the sleepless nights and now I'm doing this all over again! I hope she will sleep through the night soon because I'm going back to work.
    kittymom83

Comment by kittymom83 (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My older four were all sleeping through the night by 2 months. My 5 week old has done it once, but most nights still gets up once around 3-4.

Answer by missanc at 4:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My baby has been sleeping through the night since about ten weeks, except when he is teething or sick....I dont know what you have tried, and every baby is different, but I would say a nightly routine helped a lot. I have always fed my baby dinner, then give him a bath,then rub night time lotion on him, then read to him and cuddle for a few min. on the couch, then give him a bottle, then put him in his dark rm in crib. ...Then if he hasnt gone to sleep after about 20min of crying I will go in and try singing to him and rocking him and then put him back in crib....its worth a shot!
    kels0313

Answer by kels0313 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• gee, i wonder why i got voted down....you're supposed to use it when someone answers something that doesn't even go with the question, not just because you don't like the answer. ggrrr people! btw, when i say sleeping through the night at 6 months, i meant 12 hours...bedtime was 8pm, they woke up at 8am. just to be clear.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• my gd just started @ 19mn...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2010