How much do/did you spend on your child's (5-8) birthday?

My son is turning 6 soon and he is driving me crazy with "can you get this for my birthday, can you get that for my birthday", etc. Normally, I have a hard time trying to get him stuff for his birthday but this year he has been very vocal about it. I think a lot of it has to do with us not being able to really buy him toys throughout the year this year because money has been really tight. We are doing better now, but I know he is not going to get everything he wants for his birthday (and he is really good about understanding that), but how do I get him to narrow the list down to the things that he REALLY wants. Also, in general how much is a good amount to spend on a child's 6th birthday?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 3:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is turning 6 and he is getting a cake and dinner at a pizza buffet with his best friend. We are giving him a Lego star wars T-shirt and a pack of silly bands. So about $30-40 for everything including everyone's dinner. Some would call that cheap. Some would call that overboard. Reasonable is what you can afford without breaking the bank.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Every year is different. I dont' do a big party every year, but aside from the cost of the party I try to get each kid 6-8 presents, not all big, but I do try to get the ones they realy realy want.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I only buy my kids ONE gift each for their birthdays. They get plenty of gifts from the grandparents, aunts, uncles, family friends, etc. We spend about $25-ish for the gift. My kids are 5 and 7.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• About $25 total for my daughter's sixth birthday. That included her birthday dinner and her gifts.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Are you talking about gifts or the party supplies?My youngest turned 6 this year. With food and supplies we spent almost $150. As far as gifts we only spent around $100. We only spent that much because hubby wanted to get him a bunch of t-ball stuff and it was a bit pricey. Otherwise I think getting one special gift is just fine. Let the other party guests fill in what you could not afford.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2010