Whats the latest you should make an appt with ur ob/gyn after u find out your pregnant

im 14 weeks and haven't been able to see one yet

rockabell2003

Asked by rockabell2003 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• they don't do anything real helpful until about 18-20 weeks when they do the quad screen & ultrasound. So I wouldn't worry yet.

since you know you're pregnant, you're taking an OTC prenatal right? if not, walmart has some
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I would make the appointment as soon as i found out the sooner the better. First trimester is very important
    DACIA79

Answer by DACIA79 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i should have medical coverage back soon, hopefully with in the next few weeks, i have been taking prenanatl vitamins since week 5
    rockabell2003

Comment by rockabell2003 (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• none of my drs with any of my pregnancies even bothered with an appointment before 12 weeks anyways. That's why I say not to worry. While I'm not an advocate of no prenatal care, I'm not one of those that rush off the the doctor as soon as the test shows + ;o) Like I said, all major testing and such is done later, all they would have done at this point is have you pee in a cup and poke your belly, and listen on the doppler.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't be too concerned. There is generally not much they would do if there was a problem - basically just check you and make sure everything is ok. That's great that you are taking the prenatal vitamins and probably the most important thing you can do.

Next time I get pregnant I will probably not be seeing a doctor at all unless there are complications. We don't have the money or the insurance, and honestly, I feel like the visits are a waste of time.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No worries, I am 15 weeks and am going through the same thing... I have had 2 children and as DarkFaery says they really don't do much till 2nd trimester. That is when all the good stuff goes down ;)
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• With our health insurance if you go within the first 2 months EVERYTHING is covered, no co-pay, no deductible. I went as soon as I test postive with the at-home test.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I'm 20 weeks and go for the 1st time Tuesday. I did find out late and when I called the doctors Tuesday was the soonest he would see me. Long as you take precautions and prenatals I think your ok. If something seems wrong and you haven't gotten your coverage yet then go to the ER. They can't turn you away for lack of insurance. Congratulations and good luck.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i got an appointment with my midwife with my first around 12 weeks, with my 2nd around 9 weeks. congrats :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• The first trimester is pretty much worthless as far as OB's are concerned, lol. Just take your vitamins and if you have any issues like bleeding or extreme vomiting/MS then go if you are worried. I don't even plan on seeing anyone til 16+ weeks if we have another kid. :P
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 11:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2010