How strict are you for age rec. for toys?

My inlaws keep buying toys for our 1 yr old that have cautions for ages 3 and up, but they've been small toys, so we've been able to simply store them away till he's older. They just bought him a big ball pit that has an age rec. of 3 and up, and they blew it up and put it in our small living room and had our child playing in it. He's just started to walk and tumbled over a couple of times (not hard), and they brushed off my concern about the age rec.

Besides small parts, how can a ball pit be dangerous? Is it so that children under 3 can tumble down and injure themselves? Thanks all!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I tend to follow them, but not always. Sometimes the age recommendation is more for how the child will be able to interact with the toy rather than for safety reasons. It just depends on the toy. After all, they are recommendations, not laws.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I've never really followed the age recommendations on things. I didn't give her stuff with small parts until she was old enough to understand not to put it in her mouth. She's 5 now and we're getting her an easy bake oven (recommended age 8) for christmas this year. It really depends more on the kid. When my sister was 4, we still didn't get her small part things because she still tried to put things in her mouth.
    I don't see the danger in a ball pit if you're there to make sure he doesn't smother on it. I think it's more anything not baby specific is recommended for ages 3 and up.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Me 2 ..I dnt follow BUT yet I dnt give her choking stuff..besides I always keep an eye on her play time
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 3:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• They're just general reccommnedations, nothing that you have to strictly follow. I think it depends on what's appropriate for each child- I honestly don't see how the ball pit could be too dangerous....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I don't follow things too strictly because often they make no sense. I had board books that said for ages 1 and up. How on earth is a board book not for a baby? I do supervise my son, especially with new toys. But I use a large dose of common sense.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 4:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I tend to not follow them either but I do wait for somethings so they don't get old by the time she can fully interact with it.

You have to remember, even the stuffed animals you give them say "3 and up". If those aren't "safe" for a baby I don't know what is LOL
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 4:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I've never paid attention to the age requirements. I just use common sense, and I know what my kids are capable of. My first born copied us in everything and never really put stuff in his mouth. Boy was it a surprise when the second one came along! :D I never had to worry about small pieces going in the mouth of my firstborn. But I had to watch it more with the second.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• well if you dont want those kind of toys for your child then tell them to buy age appropiate toys for them
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have never really paid attention to any age recommendations but instead paid attention to what seemed to be age appropriate for my Children. They are just recommendations and are really put there to cover the manufacturers hiney. You have to do what yout think is best.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 9:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I go by my instinct! My one year old plays with barbies!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2010