Flying with my LO's

I'll be flying from Washington to Georgia in a couple of weeks and I was wondering what I need to be prepared for. How does this processs work? What's going to happen at security and stuff? This is the first time I've flown and the lfight will be six hours long with "in flight services" I have no clue what that means. I'm kind of scared and really nervous so I'd like as much information as possible please. Oh my children will be 6 mos (EBF) and 2 yrs 3 mos when we fly.

GigantaursMommy

Asked by GigantaursMommy at 3:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The first step is to get to the airport early. It is time consuming to get through the airport and security in any circumstances and you won’t be as able to make a last minute dash to your gate as you would without a child (or children) in tow. The extra time at the airport will give your child a chance to exercise (find an empty gate area or ask if there is an airport play area) in between the long car ride and the flights.

Don’t check your stroller unless you plan to carry your child in a sling. Most airlines will allow you to push your stroller all the way to the gate. They’ll then check it at the gate and have it waiting for you outside the plane door when you deplane. Some airlines will even let you bring a small stroller on board if there is space.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• U might need 2 take w/ u the car seat if he or she is alrdy 2 u might either take it w u or considered luggage..they r very strict about bringin food w u like snacks so if they ask u if is urs say its for the LO..bcuse he's moody or sumthin ..bring books 4 him an I-pod or something and maybe tylenol for the LO
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 3:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Explain to your child exactly what will happen. It can be scary for them to put their shoes and lovey on the conveyor belt and say goodbye to them.

Put everything on the security belt and remove everyone’s shoes before you remove your child from the stroller, then wait until you can get your child back in the stroller before gathering up your other items

If there is a family lane, use it! At most airports, the family lane has extra agents to help families gather their belongings and often there is a little bit of extra space where children can put on shoes.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Two times more diapers than you would typically pack in your diaper bag. You never know what the air pressure will do to little tummies. Plus wipes and a few disposable changing pads.

Any medications you or your child might need on the trip (you don’t want to risk losing them in checked baggage). Don't forget to write dosing information on the bottle, and separate any liquids into your ziplock.

Plastic bags for diaper disposal or soiled clothes

For toddlers and older children, consider using a CARES Airplane Seat Harness on the plane, rather than bringing a carseat. The less you have to carry, the better! If you are travelling with a car seat, or with the CARES system, make sure to bring documentation demonstrating that it is FAA approved.

A change of shirt for you and your child. For babies, you may want spare pants as well.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:42 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i tried wearing my son once, i will never do it again. i had to take him out, go through security, put him back in, then take him out on the plane, put him back in while waiting to get off the plane...it was a hassle. i tried wearing him during the ride, but they said i wasn't allowed. and since you're BF, it'll be hard taking him out while your sitting in that little space dealing with your toddler...anyway, get a small umbrella stroller that has a hard back for your baby. for your toddler bring his favorite toy, coloring books, crayons, basically get a small bookbag and stuff it with tons of things to do, snacks, and an empty sippy. buy juice after security. i'm not gonna lie, security will be hell. wear slip on shoes, not tie ons. that'll just make it worse. same goes for your toddler. baby will be fine in socks.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Call the airline you are using and ask what documents you need, if any, for the kids. And what does their "in flight" services include. Also, just one other idea..........When my DIL flew east one time she packed twice as much food for the kids than she thought she would need. She ended up using ALL of it because of delays and they had to circle for a long time. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2010