med for sleeping- trazadone?

Does anyone take trazadone to help sleep. It was orginally used for an anti-depressant but no one wanted to take it because of it made them so sleepy. So they started using it as a sleep aid about 20 or so years ago. I started it 2 weeks ago and am having some problems. Wanted to know your experience with it. How much do you have to take and how long did it take to start sleeping good? And what side effects did you notice? Thank you :)

amyanne2010

Asked by amyanne2010 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Health

• my experience with it was that it gave me the worlds worst hangover type feeling the day after! OMG it was awful! I now refuse to take that, I stick with benedryl. ;o) I think I tried it for about a week before I just couldn't take the hangover feeling anymore
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• It can make you sleep, but your mind wont shut off. Its like your body rests, but you mind continues to run. I didnt like it. Some people use it and love it, others cant take it. There are different doses and your dr will start you out on the dose they think is right for you and go from there.
    erin7420

Answer by erin7420 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I used it for both sleep and for anti-depressant/anxiety. I loved it. I started with the lowest dose, I think it was 20 mg. It's been quite a few years since I have been on it. But I took it about 4 years, through a pretty rough time in my life. I had a good experience. But when I weened myself off, I took half a pill for a month then a quarter of a pill for a month. I had no weird affects from it. But I also took Welbutrin during the day, when I woke up.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• my doctor started me on half a pill for nights and told me to up it a half a pill every four nights until i go to bed shut my eyes and dont open them untill morning (which I've never done). I'm up to 2 and 1/2 pills and not sleeping good at all. I sleep four hours last night (this morning) from 9 am to 1 pm. I'm in so much pain from not sleeping its crazy. I've had a few good night here and there which gives me hope that this could work but when and at what dose? But I've definately been having the busy brain, lol, your right it's like it doesn't shut off. No problems the next morning yet. I took ambien for four months and it was awful. The morning after that was like a black out hangover. couldnt remember anything and so sleepy!
    amyanne2010

Comment by amyanne2010 (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Oh, and i've been having a lot of OCD tendencies this week. Becoming obsessive about organizing, cleaning and things being even. It's getting pretty bad. I sat in bed 30 minutes the other night trying to straigten my sheets and blankets (my husband was asleep so i couldnt get them right, til i woke him up, lol) Was wondering if anyone else experienced this on trazadone or if it was being caused from something else. Maybe the not sleeping or the stress from my busy life right now. I figure the stress but was curious. :)
    amyanne2010

Comment by amyanne2010 (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Aug. 15, 2010