Did Christians cause the holocaust?

If Hitler says he was a Christian?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Tell me, were they praying to God before they gassed the Jews.

Statistically speaking, yes, some of them were. Christian-based anti-semitism was a main point of Hitler's recruiting techniques. Regardless of what he believed, he was creating fanatics. There were 2 kinds of soldiers in Hitler's army, those who served out of fear and those who served out of fervor. The fanatics would absolutely be praying as they performed their ethnic cleansing, just as they'd been brainwashed to do.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• First off Hitler was NOT a Christian. He denounced Catholicism and was not a religious man. Your little game is getting pretty damn stupid.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No a man did... His name was Adolf Hitler.

Brutal, horrific things have been done throughout history in the name of Religion.. But religion did not committ those atrocities. Men did, men bastardizing religions as an ends to their means committed those atrocities.

People use their religion as a justification for all kinds of BS in this world... All kinds of BS, from the petty and the small (cough cough...gay marriage,, making certain sex acts illegal/certain relationships illega, who someone must dress..etc..etc..), to the extreme and horrific ( the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the Salem Witch Trials...etc..etc..)

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I see why you would ask this anon. No, Christians didn't cause the Holocaust. We did help end it though with many other religions. If you are to be a member of the "tolerance of religious beliefs" crowd, how can you ask this but don't think Muslims caused 9-11? It is exactly the same thing.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• what kind of question is this?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Maybe they should though, cause it'll make you like them more...........

What's more disgusting, that you even put this thought out there, or that someone agreed with it? If Hitler were a Christian, he'd still be better PR for them than you are.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• You have to look at what point in his life he said he was a Christian. People do change their beliefs. Check out this link for starters:

http://catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0214.htm

I can understand why none of us want him in our "camp". He was one sick and twisted dude.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 4:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• pixie trix,

I think sometimes there is some confusion between tolerance and endorsement. I fully believe that we should have the right to worship any God, god, animal, person we choose, or not worship at all. That being said, I also support our right to disagree or disapprove of others beliefs. That doesn't mean I endeavor to impose my beliefs upon them, only that I may choose to think they are wrong. If one chooses to put one's faith in a given religion, there are usually some tenets of that religion that are at odds with others. If you choose to follow those teachings, political correctness and the fear of offending someone else are inevitable. However, if you choose to compromise your belief, even if it's only internally, why bother believing in the first place.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Natesmom507.......

I don't believe in compromising my beliefs. I do not believe anyone should.
    However. I do not believe that a MAN any man bastardizing their beliefs for any gain of power (regardless of what type of power that is) or for manipulation of people is acceptable. Regardless of the religion.

Anyone who sits back and tolerates anyone bastardizing the religion they whole heartedly believe in for any means of: abusing power, acquiring power, oppressing others......etc... Is no better than the person promoting such actions in my opinion.

You are free to think it's okay to "tolerate" and yet not "endorse" someone bastardizing your religion. It's just not something I would personally ever do. I would denounce anyone, loudly and proudly, if they were bastardizing my religon for personal gain.. Could be one reason why I do not follow any organized religion. Far to many people who "tolerate" for my taste.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Gertie,

Where do you come up with some of these wild story's you tell?

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010