is it better for your child to wear a School uniform or street clothes?

I never wore a school uniform while growing up. I live in Florida nad 90% of the schools are uniforms. I was so happy to express myself through clothes. I went through the Jordash jeans Phase, Goth phase, Madonna, Fam era, Preppy clothes with penny in the penny loafers, Th black period (still going through that) , and the 90's spandex shorts and mid drifts.
Clothes does not define us but it makes it alows us to be distinct individuals. Should we deny our children of that?

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in

• I am more a fan of a dress code, not a uniform. Why make the kids into robots that have to follow the leader??

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 4:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No uniforms for me either. The only reason why teens have the clothes they wear now (that they shouldnt be wearing) is becuase their parents buy it for them most of the time.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yep. I love school uniforms. The first time I dealt with them was with my boys. My oldest was 4th grade or so when they changed to uniforms. I don't have to fight about what anyone is wearing in the morning. Teasing about clothes all but disappeared at our school. My grandkids go to a school that doesn't call it uniforms..but a strict dress code. For boys it doesn't make much difference cost wise. For girls it is a huge cost savings. My kids express themselves through their speach, their stories , their art, and on the weekends. The other thing.. even my oldest son (who is a clothes whore) never complained about uniforms.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I like the idea of uniforms. I didn't have them when I was growing up, but I think only good would come from it. It's cheaper for the parents, eliminates scandalous distracting hootchy clothes for girls with no parental supervision and for the boy who insists on wearing his jeans below his buttcheeks. It makes it a little harder for kids to judge eachother based on appearance, or finances (not being able to afford clothes like others). Kids can express themselves through activities, personality, and in the evenings and weekends, imo.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 4:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I would LOVE my girls schools to go to uniforms. The dress code has pretty much taken all the chances for the kids to be individuals away. My oldest loves wearing the long shirts and leggings, well they have been banned, even under skirts/dresses/shirts of appropriate length. The jeans that are designed to look ripped but are not are not allowed either. If the child wears anything like that to school, they are sent to the office where the parents are called and if we cant bring a chance of clothes, the child gets in school suspension. My dd called me last year almost in tears at the thought of ISS (she is a straight A student) and all because she wore leggings under her skirt that came to just above the knee. I told her to take the leggings off and put them in her locker. Once she took them off, she was allowed to go back to class. CRAZYYY.

JCGoneLoony

Answer by JCGoneLoony at 4:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I always wished I could wear a uniform b/c my parents couldn't afford to buy me nice clothes like the other girls I went to school with. They would always brag about their expensive clothes and I would feel like crap. As a school teacher, I see things like that still happening in our school b/c we don't have uniforms. I actually wish the teachers had uniforms too b/c I hate spending money on work clothes. SO, I am a fan of uniforms!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Girl, I have seen the hootchyfied version of the school uniform! LOL!
    emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Everyone who has uniforms here seems to like the way it keeps the fights off in the a.m. The children know that they are expected to wear the usually boring predictable, but "Expected" dress code/uniform . We aren't complaining...I love it. They aren't happy to have anything anyways so this is a great ice-breaker for getting them into school, with no hassles. Dressing should never be what '""feels''' right in school. They are going there to learn. The teachers have a hard enough time .
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 4:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Don't you remember the Breakfast club. How different they were. Don't you remember being Madonna. My daughter picked her clothes this mornig, a tutu ,striped sox and boots! I love that! don't you?
    emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• When I was in school I went to schools had uniforms and then transfered to one that didn't. I will say having uniforms was much for me. I didn't have to worry about not having what others did and getting teased because my parents couldn't afford the jeans that were considered in style. I didn't think it kept me from expressing myself and I was never a robot. Now my oldest son's school has uniforms and I will say I like it. No arguing on what he can wear.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2010