Splinters

DD got a couple of splinters in her hand last night, and now she wont let me get them out. When I tried last night she was just screaming (before I touched her!) and clenching her fist so I couldn't even see them. I don't know what to do, she wont let me near her hands now!

CakeMaker84

Asked by CakeMaker84 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try and have some one else hold her or even u hold her down and get them out that is what i had to do but i told my son a little white lie and told him if i didnt get them out then it would get infected and he would have to go to the doctors and he hates to go there but i got it and and he was like that didnt hurt at all LOL
    but good luck
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Tell her it's you or the doc that has to get them out!! You might need someone to hold her while you do it, and deal with the screaming!! It's better then the infection she'll get if you leave them it!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 4:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• They will come out on their own eventually. If they aren't bothering her, I would just leave them alone. There is a kind of salve which you can rub on them that actually draws them out. I have some in my medicine cabinet.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:48 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Try soaking the hand in warm water a bit. Sometimes it loosens the splinter and makes it easier to get out.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• you are someone is going to have to hold her down and just deal with the screaming. a fast way to get them out that can help if they are still pokeing out of the skin a bit is placeing duct tape over them and then quickly takeing it off otherwise its the tweezers.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My 2 year old son has one in his thumb right now that he won't let me get out...it's really deep.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• distract her tell her a story about when you were little. take a look at them and if they are not on the surface let them come out on their own.
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Go at them when she's alseep. If htat doesn't work, have someone hold her on their lap and stablize her hand while you get them.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:05 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Don't worry about them...they'll work themselves out. Just make sure she washes her hands frequently so she doesn't get infected.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• For some reason it wont let me edit my Q, so here's my edit.
    I had DH holding her down last night, and she was still so wiggly that I was afraid to poke her with the needle. Today during nap time, I tried again, but I didn't want to wake her up so I stopped when she started stirring. They're red now, but they appear to be in the surface? I still can't get a good enough look at them.
    NannyB, what is this salve called?
    CakeMaker84

Comment by CakeMaker84 (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010