My 16 month old has started calling the babysitter mama and not me....any suggestions ???? HELP

Calliesmom8

Asked by Calliesmom8 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• did she call you mama before she was being babysat.... maybe shes saying mama because he just learned it? if not dont worry, just make sure you talk to the baby sitter and she she calls her mama the baby sitter tells her no my names _____
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 11:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Has she ever called you "mama?" What does the babysitter say when she calls her "mama?" Maybe you should keep a few pictures of yourself around your house so that when your daughter does this, your babysitter will be able to say "no, my name is ___" and point to a picture of you saying "here is your mama." And when you get home, have your babysitter say "mama's home!"

Right after learning the word "mama," my daughter went through a phase of saying it to everyone and even called a policeman "mama" one time. Heehee...that was HILARIOUS!!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:10 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I agree with the others - she is most likely just learning the word and doesn't know what it really means yet. My daughter called me dada for the longest time! Once she learned that I was mama, she started calling every other adult dada. Now, at 26 months, she knows that she has a Mommy, a Daddy, and everyone else is either a man, a lady, or a baby. She still won't use "child", "boy", or "girl".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• It's a familiarity word. Who's taking care of her most often? YOU and you are Momma!!!! Yay! Well she could be associating the word with the babysitter because she's taking care of her too....My DD used to call her grandmas mamma every so often. Just the association of care giver to caregiver. Don't worry. Maybe work on saying when you take her to the sitter's "So and So is going to take care of you today" and when you get there you can say "There is So and so." It's really nothing to worry about.
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My dusghter her sitter nana, and called me honey for the longest time. I thought it was cute.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• im a child care provider and i have four 2 yrolds and they all call me mommy i say no im lala and then they call me mommy lala. most of my parents think its cute ive never had any one get upset about it. i correct the kids but they call me what they want still no matter how many times i tell them my name is lala. they know ur the mommy. my kids r with me 5 days a week 10 and 11 hrs a day they r bound to call me mommy once in a while. its not that they think im there mom just that is a familar word to them and its comforting for them to hear it.
    lala91172

Answer by lala91172 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2008