What is better to have a gerbil or a hamster?

We are wanting to get one for our kids....but I don't know which one would be better....So tell me what has worked well for you?

lil_Army_Wife05

Asked by lil_Army_Wife05 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Pets

• my DH says gerbil... they seem to live longer
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 4:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Nether, they both stink really bad. Gerbils bite a lot, they aren't meant to be a type on animal you hold. Hamsters tend to always pee and poop in your hands. They are very fast creatures so they will try to get away and it's a pain to catch them. I had both growing up.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• what ever you do do NOT get dwarf hamsters. no matter how much you handle them they always try to bite. i had one when i was younger and handled it all the time and it always bit me. ( i was very happy when it died) if you get a hamster teddy bear hamsters are really good and gerbils are good as well.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i would say neither i think they bith smell really bad and i dont want my house to stink LOL
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Niether, LOL. Had both as a kid. But of the two, I would say hamster. From my experience they were friendlier.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Actually, I like rats or guinea pigs better than either of them! However, if the choice is between the two, I would opt for a gerbil. I have known more friendly gerbils than friendly hamsters. Most of the hamsters I have known have been bitey. My advice for any small pet is to get them as babies and handle them frequently, as they learn to 'make friends' more easily when they are young and an older animal who has not been handled a lot is unlikely to ever become really friendly.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Neither. Get a guinea pig instead. Not nearly as stinky and they aren't biters like hamsters and gerbils.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I am pretty certain they are both disease carriers.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• A guinea pig! We've had hamsters and they were kind of a pain. They'd bite, and just weren't fun at all. My 12yr old sister has a guinea pig now and loves it. It'll let the kids hold it, doesn't bite, and is more calm than any of our hamsters every were. It took a few days to get used to having people around, and gradually the kids went from holding it for a few minutes, to keeping it out all the time and playing with it quite a bit. It's pretty low maintenance too. The cage gets cleaned out once a week which consists of throwing out the old bedding and putting in new bedding, plus cleaning the food bowl and stuff, and that is about it.

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Ive always had hamsters. my fav hamster i had was a dwarf hamster and it never bit or tried to bite. but they sleep alot during the day. Ive never had a gerbil but Ive also had a guinea pig. they are more fun then a hamster.. you could also try a rabbit..
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2010