What would you do? NIP question.

Today, I saw a mom nursing on the beach. You bet i went up to her and told her what i thought.Told her that i think what she's doing is great and am glad she didn't feel the need to go off somewhere and hide. Then gave her a thumbs up. She seemed so happy :) Also mentioned that it'd have made my day if someone had said something like that to me when I was nursing my babies on the beach- or anywhere really.

Would you have done something similar, ignored her, or said something to the effect that she should not have been nursing in the middle of the beach?

Krysta622

Asked by Krysta622 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would have just ignored her. It wouldn't bother me one bit that she was NIP, but I wouldn't go up to her. Not that it's wrong that you did, I'm just not quite that outgoing. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I might have smiled and nodded. I don't feel that it is something that you need a pat on the back for though. Don't get me wrong I think its great but It would have thrown me off if someone came up to me while I was nursing just to tell me "Good job nursing". My daughter gets distracted easily so it wouldn't have worked. lol.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 5:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I've never done this before, but I felt compelled to do so today. Who knows, my statement may have made an otherwise uncomfortable mom more comfortable nursing wherever and whenever she needs to. I'm not usually that outgoing with complete strangers either, and (thank goodness) it didn't seem to bother/upset her.
    Krysta622

Comment by Krysta622 (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• http://kindovermatter.blogspot.com/2009/05/thank-you-for-nursing-in-public.html

Here are some printable cards that you may want to have handy. I normally give a nod and a thumbs up if NIP mama looks at me.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 5:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• There are cards?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I tend to just give a smile and indication that I support her and have never actually gone up to someone. My children were distracted easily so I would have preferred to just get a nod and smile of support without coming up and talking to me.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have never seen another mom nursing their baby in public here in Iowa... I do it all the time, lol. I would have just smiled at her, and maybe nodded.
    StarMommy06

Answer by StarMommy06 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• As a mom that nurses in public pretty often, I would actually prefer if someone was discrete and just gave a nod or thumbs up. No offense to you, and kudos on being supportive, but it's hard enough to get a baby to NIP with all the ditractions without people talking to me as she nurses. Thank you for showing your support, and I'm sure that mom appreciated it, but me personally I would prefer not to get a congrats every time we go out and dd is hungry.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• u done a good thang...i would have just smiled and nodded
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:23 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I would have have just ignore her. I applaud her NIP.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:53 AM on Aug. 17, 2010