What about guinea pigs??

What is it like to have one? Are they clean animals? do they smell? do they like to be held by humans? Do they bite?

lil_Army_Wife05

Asked by lil_Army_Wife05 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Pets

• They poop alot. They need their cage cleaned daily,if not they can smell. They can be taught to be like to be held. They can bite if annoyed or scared.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Do your research ... They are a long-term commitment, with an expected life span of around 5-7 years, although up to 10 isn't unusual. While usually quiet they can call out quite loudly, and can be active both day and night. Also you need to know when
    Choosing a Guinea Pig
    Try to avoid guinea pigs that are panicky when handled, especially if they do not relax quickly, and also those that are overly quiet and calm (may be ill).
    •The guinea pig should be alert and active.
    •Avoid guinea pigs that are overly skinny or grossly overweight. The body should be firm and rounded.
    •The nose, eyes, ears, and rear end should be clean and free from discharge.
    •The coat should be full and soft.
    •Check the skin for flakes or redness, and be on the lookout for any signs of parasites such as lice.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 5:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• They can be good pets :) I had one and he got to be the size of a football plus fur he was hugh. He was a biter though unless you were my mom or dad. He would make a lot of noise when he would hear my dads voice. They need constant attention and love to be friendly. Daily cleaning of the cage keeps the smell away. All in all they are good pets :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Ours never bit. He didn't poop/pee nearly as much as our hamsters did. We changed their cedar shavings every other day. They like to eat clover, produce, etc... We had a lot of fun with our guinea pig growing up. One of our better pets. He lived about 4 years.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have three kids (aged 3, 6, and 8) and two guinea pigs. They are really sweet pets for the kids (and for me!) but I would rank their care more on the level of a rabbit or a ferret than a hamster or gerbil. They need a larger cage as they grow bigger than other pocket pets (my biggest pig is almost three pounds.) They are social and do better in pairs than alone. They like people and are easy to hold, even for the kids. I really don't find that they smell- we use Carefresh paper shavings and clean the cage weekly and we never smell anything. They do have more nutritional needs than some other small pets (ours get daily pellets, hay, and fresh fruit/veggies) and you could possibly run into vet care at some point (one of mine is on antibiotics right now to help clear a skin abscess- common in rabbits and pigs.) On the whole ours are great, but make sure you are prepared for the commitment before you buy!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Oooh, I love the guinea pig questions!!
    I have 3 kids (3,5,9) and 9 guinea pigs. Don't ask how that happened! We have a big cage that was made with cloroplast (heavy posterboard) and the do it yourself grids you buy at Target. We clean their cage once a week because it is so big. Mine don't smell either.
    Mine are set up to where the females are on top and two males are in each section. Otherwise they fight. As far as biting goes, they do not bit if they are held correctly. They may nip a little bit, but if they are biting it is because something is not right. They have never bit one of the smaller kids. I have to watch them when they are holding them.
    Their daily diet consists of romaine lettuce, a few carrots, cucumbers, watermelon, pellets, parsley, and Timothy Hay.
    They like companionship so it's good to have two. All in all they are great little pets.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:02 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I have had guinea pigs for years, mine have never bitten but they are handled often. I have a male guinea pig with a male Netherland dwarf rabbit and they get along famously and in fact get upset when they are separated.

I would add to lzsarejman's post that they like small branches from fruit trees and japanese maples.

On the downside, they are not the most cuddly creatures but they do make lots of cute noises. They are naturally skittish so will run from you when you try to pick them up.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2010