Help me! My baby won't eat.

My 3 1/2 month old will not eat anything. She woke up hungry as usual but screams and refuses food. She is sucking on her hand and crying like she is starving but will not take food. What do I do? What's wrong with her?

AliMom714

Asked by AliMom714 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hmm, call your doctor... it sounds like she might be in pain. Does it look like she has white patches in her mouth? If so, it could be a yeast infection in her mouth called thrush, those can get really painful and will effect her nursing.

My son would do this if I let him get over hungry, like, if I made him wait to eat because we were driving somewhere he would be so upset that he wouldn't latch on, and if he did he would start choking cause he was still crying!

I just sent up a prayer for you,
    God Bless
    HisGirl4304

Answer by HisGirl4304 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• try soy formula... but call your doctor to make sure!!! she could be having allergies...
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 11:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Well, she is only breastfed.... she isnt allergic to me right?? she refuses formula....
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I would take her the doctor. Ask about thrush and the doctor will take a look in your baby's mouth using a tongue depressor. Thrush happens in a lot of breast fed babies and it causes the baby to get a bacterial infection in the back of their throat - Therefore causing pain/discomfort and most of the time they refuse to feed. You can even look in your baby's mouth she allows you to. There usually is white patches on the back of their tongue and/or around the inside of their mouth. I'm not saying this is it, but it's always best to be safe and get the baby checked out. They would prescribe you with an anti-fungal that you would have to dispense in her mouth typically 4 times a day on both sides of her mouth. Just get her checked out if you can. Like I said, it's better to be safe. :)
    cjkoret8581

Answer by cjkoret8581 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I agree, it might be thrush or someting else causing mouth pain.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Thank you everyone!
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• does she have a cold? or a stuffy nose? babies also like to smell their food and if she cant smell, then hence cant taste. They have special drops for babies noses, if that is the case, if not, then i would say thrush, or, if your breasts are engoreged she might be able to latch very well.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2008