My 8-y.o. Wants to Know what Other Kids Her Age Get for an Allowance

I have an 8 year old daughter who wants an allowance and she wants to know what other kids her age get. Also, what do you have them do for it?

Thanks
MassMomof3

MassMomof3

Asked by MassMomof3 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My children don't get an allowance. They are members of this family, not invited guests, and are expected to help around the house.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My 8 year old does not get one. Agree with Gaccck.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My 4 yr old gets a $1 a week. He feeds/water the cats, sorts laundry, loads the washer and dryer (front loader), picks up the livingroom every night before bed, and clears the table after dinner.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My son isn't old enough to do chores yet, so I'm not sure. However, I think allowance is a great idea and a good way to teach them about work/money/spending/saving. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• my kid gets a quarter ever choir he does. the choirs range from cleaning the toilet to feeding the cat. it averages to about 5 bucks a week. he does not get money for cleaning his room.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 5:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I was gonna suggest $10-$15 a week.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• And for us its more than paying them to get them to do work. He would do the work anyway even if I didn't pay him. Its about teaching them value, learning about using a savings account, understanding delayed gratification, and also the joy of finally getting something you worked hard for.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I get voted down because of how much I'd give my kid? Ha! Haters! In all actuality, if he worked hard, I may even give him more than that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My kids, ages 8 and 5, do get allowances. My husband and I feel that learning to manage money is a valuable life skill. They do chores and that's not related to them getting the allowance, they'd be doing the chores anyway, but if they blow off or do a crap job on their chores, they will get docked a percentage up to 100%. The 8-year-old gets three bucks a week, one cash-in-hand, two written down in his "savings book". He can ask for the "savings book"money if and when he wants to use it. His chores consist of cleaning and vacumming his own room twice a week, making his bed every day, folding and putting away his clean laundry, helping clean the bathroom every week, taking out the kitchen trash and walking his dog four times a day. He also gets an additional two dollars a week from his Grandma for walking HER dog four times a day; Grandma is a super-softy.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 5:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• my 8 year old doesn't get one...but he does the dishes his room...and whatever else needs to be done
    melissabilliot

Answer by melissabilliot at 5:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2010