As a Christian I would like to ask my fellow Christians: Why such prejudice, fear and hate toward Pagans?

You know they don't worship the devil or sacrifice babies right? You know they are generally very peaceful people who have a lot if not all of the same values. Values not beliefs. They may not be what I consider saved and in my heart that is sad but I'm not afraid or hateful towards them or any other religion. It just seems there is a lot of negative association with the term Pagan.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• One word: Fear.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• There's a very large "If you're not with us you're against us" mentality among some Christian denominations which not only targets pagans, wiccans, atheists, but also the other abrahamic religions and even other Christian denominations. It really boils down to willful ignorance on the matter.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I'm a Christian and I'm not bothered at all if someone isn't my religion. I take people for who they are and how they treat others...not their religious beliefs.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I'm also a Christian and don't feel any negative feelings toward Pagans. It seems to me that the people who have prejudice against others for their religions are those who don't know enough about the other religions. It's a case of "ooh, you believe differently so you must be bad". I don't feel that way at all - I think we could all learn from one another if we would open our minds and our hearts.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• it doesnt bother me one bit. no hate, prejudice, or fear from me.

it seems that for those who are bothered by Pagans truly believe they are evil. those ppl sometimes have a "if its not my God, its against my God" mentality and have issues w/ all non-Christian faiths (and some Christian ones, too). you can never convince them they are wrong.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i fear no man or woman. there's no reason to be prejudiced, and i don't hate anyone, either. i believe they are wrong..but that is neither prejudice, fear or hate. its opinion.
    one might ask the same of some pagans, i'd say. SOME certainly hate SOME xtians, if CM posts are any indication.
    all in all, people can be mean, fearful, hateful, and nasty towards others, at different times for different reasons. xtian or pagan; no difference in the humanity department, IMO.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I really think that prejudice is universal. It goes beyond labels...even the more common ones.

You know...I just like people with no regard for what category they fall into. I am not going to put people in a box. If faith is not one of the things we have in common then I can talk with them about something else. I think it's important to be acquainted with all sorts of people. It doesn't mean you have to be the best of friends but it means that you have no problems associating with them and even enjoy the experience.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 6:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• It always interests me when this question comes up - which ones can answer it outright, and which ones absolutely cannot answer it without adding some sort of "they do it too" disclaimer.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No fear here... the bible says this . Psalm 27:1-3 (New American Standard Bible)Psalm 27 A Psalm of Fearless Trust in God.
    A Psalm of David.1The LORD is my light and my salvation;Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread? 2When evildoers came upon me to devour my flesh, My adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell.3Though a host encamp against me, My heart will not fear; Though war arise against me,In spite of this I shall be confident.

1 John 4:17-19 (New International Version)17In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.19We love because he first loved us.
    Lastly If you are not for God, you are against Him and worship the enemy of God.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• OP: I just don't understand that fear. I don't understand closed mindedness all together though. I can learn about something and still not believe it is 'right' I can still like someone and not 'agree' with their choice in faith. There isn't anything to fear... In fact knowing more about someone religion makes you a better witness in general for those who wish to listen.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2010