Bedtime?

How late do you let your kids stay up and how old are they? Some people think i am to firm because my kids have to obey my rules. My boys are 7 and 4 my daughter is 1 bedtime for them is 8pm do you think this is to early?

MsPhyllis1985

Asked by MsPhyllis1985 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• 6 and 7 and they go into their rooms by 7:45pm, a little later this summer but during school, it's early. They need the rest though.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• It depends on the day they live and the time tey get up. My kids are 5 and 7 and go to bed at 9 during school. Because we have no structure during summer, they can stay up as long as they are being good and quiet after ten.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 6:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• If that is the rule in your house i see no problem with an 8 o'clock bedtime. I have 2 kids 8 and 2. The 8 year old has light out at 9 but he starts getting ready at 8. My 2 year old i let stay up a lot longer because if I don't she will be up at 3 am.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 6:40 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• You are not to firm. This is what children need today. "RULES" My daughter just tuned 3 and she is upstairs at 7:30 and in bed by 7:45pm.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• School starts on Tuesday here - the 9 year old will go to bed at 8 - 8:30, my 12 year old will go to bed at 9. My high school kids know what they can handle and when they have to get up in the morning, so they don't have a set bed time, but are usually in bed around 10 -10:30. I think every family is different and you know what works best for your household.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 6:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have 3 boys and on school nights these are their ages and bedtimes
    7 yrs.....7:30
    12 yrs..... 9
    15 yrs...10
    and on occasion my 7 yr old can stay up until 10 on a Friday night
    and the older two can go to bed when they feel like it on weekends, but I say stay quiet in your rooms
    I think bedtimes and consistency are the best for a child
    jennient3

Answer by jennient3 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My kids are 5 and 8 and they have a 7 pm bedtime. My 8 year old can read for about 15 minutes before he goes to sleep, and during the summer they've been staying up a little later, but other than that, we're pretty strict about it. They've had the 7 pm bedtime for the past 3 years, and it's worked out well. This school year I'm a little worried because they won't get to bed until 9 pm on Monday and Wednesday because of our activities. I am hoping they won't be all tired and crabby the next day.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have them go to their rooms at 730 and lights out at 8pm. Everyone is usually asleep by 830.
    blessedmama4

Answer by blessedmama4 at 7:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I don't think that it is to strict. My 2 yo has a 7 bedtime and my friend has 3 kids that are 4,8, and 10 who go to bed at 8. You are the parent and know just how much sleep each of your children need. My DD needs between 12 and 14 hours. So you do what is in the best interest of your kids.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No - I don't think that's strict at all! My older kids went to bed at 7 until they were 5. Now they are 8, 10, and 12 and go to bed at 8:30.
    My 21 month old goes to bed at 7:30 - my 5 week old goes to bed around 8 (still working on her schedule)

Answer by missanc at 8:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2010