Sign Language

I want to teach my dd sign language so that she can communicate with me but I have no idea where to start. Anyone know of any good books or materials I can buy?

MsHouseWife

Asked by MsHouseWife at 6:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• http://www.lifeprint.com/
    try here!
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 6:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• http://www.signwithme.com/default.asp

The above is great starting off point.  Neither of my children spoke until they were 4 because they have autism which manifested itself in their inability to speek, although cognitively they were very bright.  We started signing with our older son when he was 2, and it was the greatest source of communication between us until he started forming words and speaking 2 years later.  My younger son started learning sign at 1 year-we knew so much more about autism by then.

Research has shown that sign language and speech follow the same neuro-pthways in the brain...so learning the sign results in speaking the word much faster than without signing.  My now 6 year old (younger) son uses a combination of signs and speech, and teaches me the sign when I ask!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Signing Times DVD's are great. I used them to help my younger daughter, who has autism.
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I signed to my daughter when she was just 5 mths old. "Baby Einstein" My First Signs". You can get this at Wal-Mart. She now just turned 3. As you are signing you also speak to them. This was such a great help. It is never to late to start.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I taught all 4 of my older kids to sign and will be starting with my 5 week old in a few weeks. We just used basic signs from ASL and if there was a sign I needed that I didn't know, I looked it up online. I taught them about 25-30 signs (more, eat, drink, thank you, please, bath, play, etc)

Answer by missanc at 8:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I don't know of any books in particular, but I taught my son a few signs- wish we would have learned more!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2010