Epidural, yes or no?

Im the type of person who does not handle pain very well. So i have been thinking about getting and Epidural. But i also react very weird to any type of medication as in, if i take tylenol it puts me to sleep instantly, but when i had surgery a few years ago they prescribed me vicodin and it did nothing for me at all didnt even ease the pain. So my concern is how its going to effect me and if it will truely work, that and the needle going into my back kinda freaks me out.
Has anyone ever had a problem with getting the epidural or react weird to meds like i do??

Mandalxl

Asked by Mandalxl at 6:56 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have weird reactions to meds too. I said no to the epidural. I was more worried about the risks involved with an epidural then I was with the pain. I didn't like the upped chances of the forceps, suction, and c-section.

What finally helped me was remembering how it is only a few hours of pain for a lifetime of joy. Think of it this way. It is only a few hours, how many hours will you live in you lifetime? It really was worth the pain of it to me, to avoid the risks of the epidural.

Lots of women will tell you they didn't have any complications, but look at the statistics. I am all for the epidural, as long as you have researched it and made and INFORMED decision. Good luck and congratulation on you future bundle of joy.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I didn't have an epidural with either of my daughters. My girls came pretty fast so I wasn't in pain for very long. My sister had an epidural and laughed the entire time! I was very jealous. As far as how you'll feel physically, I don't think anyone can give you an answer for that. It's all in how you react to the medicine. If you feel like you can't handle the pain, get it. No need to suffer if you don't have to!
    mommyxdos

Answer by mommyxdos at 7:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Everyone reacts differently to different medications. Novocaine, Xanax, and Valium don't do anything for me. I had two epidurals though, and they both worked. People say epidurals might slow down labors though and for me they did the opposite. I was stalled out until I got my epidural both times and it made my labor speed up immediately. I would suggest you go in with an open mind though, not making the choice one way or the other until you know how your body handles the pain. For me, the pain wasn't nearly what I expected it would be. The whole purpose of my epidurals was to relax me and speed my labors. Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I had 3 natural deliveries with no pain meds of any kind. The first 2 went really fast but the 3rd I didn't think I'd get through it in one piece, it was 22 hours. I got through it with no complications and I was also "scared of the pain" but once you hold that little baby the pain fades into the background and you realize it was all worth it!!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I don't think most people like pain. It's understandable to want to avoid it!
    But labor doesn't necessarily have to do with one OR the other (pain or no pain = drugs).
    There are many coping options. Consider alternatives that Natural Birthers love.
    You can reduce pain naturally! :-D

"Labor? Don't think it as pain, think of it as an interesting sensation that requires all of your attention." ~Ina May Gaskin

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i consider myself to be pretty wimpy when it comes to pain but i also don't like taking meds so much. i strongly prefer NOT to have pain meds during labor, and i've had 2 kids, both without pain meds. i'd do research on natural birth, if you're interested in that. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I had 3 epidurals and no problems. During my 1st labor, I had to have the epidural because they needed to use the vacuum and wouldn't do it without me having an epidural - during my 2nd and 3rd it actually speeded up my labor because it allowed my body to relax instead of tensing up every time I had a contraction.

Answer by missanc at 8:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I didn't have any pain meds and labor didn't really hurt. It wasn't horrible. Don't believe the people who say it's horrible because it's not. And I was in labor for 17 hours. Transition is crappy. It threw my balance off. But that only lasted like 20 minutes.

Epidurals aren't 100%. They can cause fevers, slowed labor, itching... If you want to go without, they go without. You can choose. it's your birth!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I cannot go 10 minutes with a headache. I refuse to sit around with a toothache, but when it comes to birth, I prefer no painmeds. There are many ways to control the sensations in labor. You can probably have a "natural" childbirth if you try, but there is nothing wrong with leaving your options open if you need something.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• its a personal choice and if you choose yes dont feel like you let anyone down. i had my first with just iv pain killers, my second with n epidural. With my first i ened up wanting one but it was to late. theres alot of controverse over it but in the end its what you want. you can go up till the last cen i think b4 its to late. so give it a try without and if you dont like it ask for it.
    afarmer

Answer by afarmer at 11:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2010