If my dd has not asked about the bird and the bees, do I still talk to her about this? She is 11 years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• yes...
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes, chances are, she won't ever come to you with questions. She needs to know that you are willing to talk to her about these things!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 7:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes, to prepare her so she is not frightened in any way and to talk to her before her friends tell her details. You want her to have accurate information. Lots of great books on it and at her grade level.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• yes, she probably as figured out most of it through TV, computers, and friends, but you talking to her will let her hear that you want her to be safe. Also, she might have questions that you could answer for her. Good Luck
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Absolutely talk to her. My son is 11 1/2 and I've already begun the talk with my son about the medically correct names of his genitals and what the basic function of them are, to make babies. But I will wait until he is 12 to get into the nitty gritty of the information. Since I am comfortable talking about sex, it doesn't bother me to talk to my kids about it. They need to learn it from us, to eliminate confusion from their peers.
    charmie71

Answer by charmie71 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• ABSOLUTELY! She may start her period any day now. Ours did at 11.5 (2 full years before I DID!). There are plenaty of good books to help you. Like the American Girl book "the care and keeping of you" or Stan and Brenna Jones' books "God's Design for Sex".
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:10 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Absolutely its time to start talking, we started once they infants with accurate names of body parts, followed by relationship conversations and feelings by kindergarten and then moving into more discussions regarding puberty and pregnancy about the age of 9 for our boys in order to them entirely prepared for everything that could come. Now that they are 12 and 15 we talk alot about safety regarding intercourse, the reasons not to have sex until later (out of HS and obtaining person goals for their future)
    We talked about what girls go through with puberty and how they differin feelings when it comes to relationships and sex.
    I think its always important to talk about it as much as possible, my boys tend to be more open and come to me with lots of questions. I always tell them their friends only have as much experience and knowledge about life as they do, and we are the only one's that can provide truthful facts
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• By7 now she should have had the talk. I never had a set time or age we just talked as questons came up.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 1:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• If you do,
    Be ware.
    She might think you are up to something and are wondering if she has been up to something.
    Just be careful.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• you should start when their young like babys don't be ashamed of your body, don't put it on display either. teach the correct name but if it makes them uncomfertable use other names when we shut the door on a saturady afternoon they know we're playing patty cake.but they also know its sex.
    whitedove34

Answer by whitedove34 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2010