Why do parents think humilitaing their child in public will teach them a lesson?

I was at a concert recently and I was there with my daughter and her friends. Rules were spoken of before and during the concert of do's and don'ts. They mainly listened but they're kids. There is a girl there who went towards the front of the stage to grab one of the many "gifts" from the band, she comes back triumphant and her mom blows a gasket and is yelling and drags her daughter of screaming at the top of her lungs about what an awful daughter she is for not listening. PLEASE the girl was mortified!

josts

Asked by josts at 6:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My BIL does this to his kids ... I believe it's to show the outside world that he is in charge but he comes off looking like a complete a - - hole.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Parenting doesn't come naturally to a lot of people.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• LOL! I never really cared about embarrassing my kids in public! I figured it this way, they embarrassed me enough when they were growing up, so why not? I don't tread lightly, so to speak. I make my point, if it's not followed, that's their problems, not mine. My girls are both grown now, but they knew better. Sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do with kids. As they get older, you'll understand.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think its horrible to humilate a child. :(
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• So sad.............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• In this case, it seems extreme. But I have had to "check" my kids in front of their friends from time to time. Sometimes kids will test the parents in front of their friends to try to act "tough", So I know I have embarrassed them.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I don't know why some parents think it's so hard to treat their kids like they are people. I see this a lot and I wonder why it's so hard to remember that kids have feelings and what it was like at that age. Too bad for the girl at the concert.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• this is my sisters parenting style to a T... I don't get it.. its so sad to watch and its like my sister is in high school or somehow thinks its "cool' to yell at her child as if like in HS it was ""cool " to fight with your boyfriend... ish..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Humiliation is never a good way to learn anything but resentment towards a parent.

Answer by older at 9:32 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Can I say call the Police on that Biatch.
    Some parents are the worst.
    Dont take your kid or Kids anywhere if you are a freak thinking that they will misbehave.
    First of all that is one of the many things kids do and that they are good at and Second of all in parts of where I live that could be condised child abuse.
    Thanks for this post we need to spread the word about parents like this!!!
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2010