evolution

k i was just reading this big huge debate going "Can a Christian be a Christian and practice witchcraft?" it's huge. and it got me thinking about evolution why I don't know. what are your views on it. does anyone know a lot about it and willing to inform me?

natasha86

Asked by natasha86 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Evolution is the theory that things change over time to be better adapted to their environment so yes I believe that and I'm a Christian. I don't think that means that we came from apes or pond scum. It's just a matter of researching the topic and deciding what you believe.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Evolution is proven. It is not a theory. All living things evolve over time. I am a devout Christian. That being said, I think other Christians that don't believe in evolution are simply closed minded. Just because the Bible doesn't speak of it, doesn't mean it isn't a real thing. The Bible doesn't speak about dinosaurs. Did they not exist?
    orgen411

Answer by orgen411 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Macro-evolution (the theory that we came from primordial ooze and progressively became more advanced creatures) is on the out in the scientific community. It is just a little illogical to say that because a horse wanted to eat food from a higher branch, he wished it hard enough and so his kids had longer necks, until eventually it was a giraffe. (I know, it wasn't a horse, just making an analogy). Micro-evolution is easier to prove, tons of current examples. Creatures change over time, but the species stay the same. There are so many holes in the theory of evolution, that there are other theories being brought to the table. That being said, it is as difficult to have faith in evolution as it is to have faith in God. It's just easier to choose evolution because then there is no god to be accountable to.

There has never been a creature found that is in between an ape and a human. Before you counter that... (next paragra
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 7:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Before you counter that, do research on both sides. The "Lucy" that we were taught about in school was proven to be a hoax. So was every other "missing link".
    crystalhuskey

• The only problem with believing in evolution and Christianity is your belief on the validity of the Bible. If you don't believe Genesis and the story of creation, where does that stop? What's fact, what's myth? It seems all or nothing to me, because you can't just choose what you want to be true. Some believe that God set evolution in motion. Again, it comes to what you believe about the Bible.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 7:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• "Evolution is proven. It is not a theory."

It's called the theory of evolution not the law of evolution for a reason. Darwin wrote "The Five Laws of Evolution" but we refer to that as Darwin's theory.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• All of evolution is too much to explain in this space - go watch the Beginners Guide to Evolution instead.  And before people get side tracked - the definition of "theory" is not something that has not been proven.  A theory is a collection of facts which are repeatedly tested and proven, and which combine to demonstrate a concept or principle (in this case, evolution).  The Theory of Evolution is a collection of proven facts.  A hypothesis is an unproven idea that needs to be tested.  People are going to insist Evolution is an unproven idea - it's not.  If it were, it would by the Hypothesis of Evolution.

And with that said - most ancient religions do not in any way conflict with evolution.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• The Adam and Eve story conflicts with evolution. It is unproven, because there is no way to see what happened billions of years ago.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 7:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I believe in evolution, I believe God created of the universe, and through the process of evolution all the different forms of life have come from what God created.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

I said most ancient religions. Your religion isn't ancient, it's barely 2000 years old. As for knowing what happened billions of years ago - it's called geology and astronomy. We have seen the passage of time within our planet and within the universe. The fossil records alone demonstrate the variation and progression along evolutionary lines.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2010