is it pointless?

some of my friends think that it is ridiculous that me and my 2 year old clean up her room at least every other day, they feel like if every toy is going to get taken right back out then whats the point of cleaning it up. I tell them that it teaches her responsibility because she tears it up and i make her help me clean it up. Whats your opinion,, is it a waste of time?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 7:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not a waste of time. If they don't learn to clean up their own messes, then they are going to make more and bigger messes that we will have to clean. My son will make a mess, and I have been teaching him that he has to pick up the first mess before moving on to other toys. He's 4years old. What gets me is, he will make the mess ALL by himself and then he will tell me he needs help picking it up. I obviously help him, but I try to teach him that he made the mess ALL by himself, he should be able to clean it ALL by himself. If you don't start early, they will turn out like my SD who lives in a pigsty here, because I got sick of cleaning up after her, so now, at 13 she is responsible for ALL her messes.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• heck no not a waste of time. if you don't teach her to clean up after herself now you will be picking up after her fgor many years to come. a good quality to instill in her.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 7:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have a friend that her son cleans up his room every evening before bed. It works for them. I see nothing wrong with it.

I personally have kind of given up the giant fight that is "clean up your room" and mine are only 3 & 4. I go in once a week and actually clean their room.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• It most certainly is NOT a waste of time. That is like saying don't make the bed...you're getting back in it tonight. You keep doing exactly what you're doing.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:09 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No, it's not a waste, especially if it's done happily and you do it together. Good job Mom!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:09 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• this is what was done when we were young, no?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• NO it is not. You are teaching her when she is done, you pick up your toys. My daughter is 3 and picks up all her toys. Keep doing what you are doing it does work. You are being a great mom.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• no we clean up like that everyday almost.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• NO WAY is it pointless, they learn to take responsibility immediately for their actions. I have a 17 year old an a 20 year old and as soon as they use something and are done with what ever, be it a video or plate, they put it away. I've had friends comment on how their kids never put anything away, they also weren't made to when they were young!
    josts

Answer by josts at 7:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My 2 yo has been cleaning up her toys since she could walk at 12 mos. I helped her along the way until she was about 18 mos old. I make her put everything away in her room. It doesn't always go where I think that it should, but it is never the less put away. I also make her put her laundry in the basket as well as put her shoes and clothes away when they are clean. Keep doing what you are doing. You are teaching her good life skills that she will appreciate later in life.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2010