how will she adjust?

My daughter is 2 and a half and im about to give birth in a matter of days to another daughter, my 2 year old is territorial and cannot even stand for me to hold another child. How can i make this adjustment easier on her without her feeling left out or replaced? Were a military family so she doesn't have any other cousins around so she is 00% ust to all attention being on her

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 7:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I vote for getting her a baby doll to take care of too. maybe even all the little accessories that go with it - little car seat, little play pen, little stroller etc.

get lots of quality one on one time with her while new baby naps. Don't worry about the dishes for that couple hours (or whatever the mess may be at the time) just focus on her.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Start talking to her now. talk about the baby in your tummy and being a big sister. Tell her Mommy will need her help. talk, talk ,talk. Talk about the plans for when l;abor comes. She may not understand it all but it will desensitize her some to the new baby coming home.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Make sure you explain to her what's coming, and love, love, love her...she'll get through it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I like the baby doll idea! It will give her a way to be "mommy" to her baby when you are taking care of lil sis. Brag about her being a big sister to everyone when she can hear you. She'll be fine!  its a girl

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Make sure she gets lots of hugs and kisses and keep telling her how special she is. Maybe have her be responsible for picking out socks or something for the baby each day........give her some small job to do. Spend as much one on one time with her as you can when the baby is sleeping. I'm sure you will get tons of great ideas here. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I like the doll idea. We went through this with my daughter and the first month was great and then after that it got interesting. I would not recommend her going to the hospital though. If you stay and she sees you leaving it does not end up going well. We just gave her tons of attention and she adjusted. I still feel to this day though I give her way more attention than my fourteen month old but she demands it. It will always be a balancing act.
    JeanPatrick

Answer by JeanPatrick at 7:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• GL with this! I am not sure so here is a bump! <3
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 8:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Godd Luck, I have a son turning 3 the same nature as that - where he didn't like forever if I was around another child, let alone hold another one, but for many other reasons he is our only, so I don't know what to do but I'll bump ya!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• We got our son (22 months when his sister was born) a baby doll to take care of. It was the baby's gift to him. I also made sure to keep some "just us" time. For us, that was bed time; the baby would stay downstairs with daddy while I took the toddler upstairs and read to him and cuddled and tucked him in. 16 months later, I still do. We also didn't keep him away from the baby. Of course we made sure that he was careful around her, not poking her or hitting her with toys, etc., but she wasn't completely off-limits, if that makes sense; we let him hug her and kiss her and lay down next to her and cuddle her. We never had any jealousy issues out of him at all.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2010