Occupational therapy or physical therapy?!

I am going to school and it's almost time for me to apply to a degree program! I don't know which one to choose! It's between occupational therapy assistant and physical therapy assistant!!! Anyone else either one of these or has anyone dealt with either? Which would you choose?

ang0343

Asked by ang0343 at 7:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'd think that they both would be fulfilling. I would pick physical therapy.

Answer by Bmat at 7:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I CHOSE Occupational Therapy for my Master's Degree. :o) I feel as though if you are a more "creative" person and have excellent interpersonal skills, the OT is for you...you will adapt a variety of therapies and exercises to a wide variety of situations and patients in varying degrees of recovery.

Physical Therapy (IMO) is more of a "rigid" approach. I worked in a PT clinic when I was earning my practical credits for my Bachelor's in Sports Medicine and Exercise Physiology, and to me it was more of a "one size fits all" approach and the only changes were in numbers of repetitions of exercises, degree of range of motion, and how much weight/resistance. It didn't seem very creative or personal.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Thanks! At first I was leaning towards Physical therapy but now, after researching it, I'm leaning more towards occupational therapy! I think I would like them both but I feel occupational therapy will offer more!
    ang0343

Comment by ang0343 (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think it's easier to get in to an OT program than a PT program, at least that is what I have been told. PT programs are highly selective in the US, and the # of programs is quite limited. Personally, I'd pick Speech therapy, if given the choice. I am an Nicu nurse, and work with all of these disciplines in the hospital setting.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:42 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I worked closely with OT/PT/ST when I worked with special needs kids and I think I'd go for Occupational Therapy over Physical Therapy. Like a previous poster said, PT is general and OT is a little more customized. Anytime a child got PT in my classroom, they were doing the same exercises just at varying degrees of difficulty. I found OT was a little more fun, too. When I worked 1:1 with a few kids, their OT allowed them to participate in different activities (cutting, gluing, placing objects, holding utensils the correct way - which I never knew there were different kinds of scissors!, rolling a ball, etc) so it just seems like a more creative, fun and flexible route to go.
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 1:33 AM on Aug. 16, 2010