What "must have" baby item did you find totally useless?

There's a lot that are listed on baby lists as "must haves" that I never bothered with for DS and don't plan on using for the next kid either. I didn't see the point.

- Bouncer - the swing's great when they're having trouble sleeping, but I just don't see the point of the the bouncer.
- Crib - we co-sleep, so we don't need one. DS went straight into a twin bed when he was 1 and I plan to do the same next time.
- Changing table - they outgrow the thing in 30 seconds flat and you end up in the floor anyway, why not just start there? Plus we're doing infant potty training.
- Bottle warmer - I breastfeed, but work, so DS got bottles of pumped milk. We warmed the milk under the tap to room temperature and he seemed fine with it.
- Wipe warmer - if your baby doesn't like cold wipes, just rub it between your hands.

I see the reasoning behind some of these, but they're not the "must-haves" people make them out to be. Thoughts?

Lynnaloch

Asked by Lynnaloch at 7:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The diaper genie
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• wipe warmer...
    mariposalee

Answer by mariposalee at 7:40 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• carseat
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• wipe warmer

i dont see how a carseat would be hte most un needed item- that should be the most important (to the ann that posted)
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 7:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think everyone has a different definition of a "must-have". I have used a changing table for ten months now. I LOVE my diaper genie. My DD hated her swing but loves her bouncer. We are not advocates of co-sleeping, so a crib IS necessary. If you'd like to duct tape your child to a dining chair, then you wouldn't need a high chair....ok, seriously though...it bugs me when the have-nots knock the haves.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• pacifiesr- never used them

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I liked the bouncer because I could put my son in it in the bathroom when I showered. Never got a changing table, just a pad. Got the wipes warmer, but eventually ended up getting wipes that came travel ready. The crib I used, I liked the diaper Champ, because you could use any kind of garbage bag and it kept the smell in. I found the bottle sterilizer useless, once there was that whole BPA thing and you weren't supposed to heat up the bottles.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yeah, I want to hear why anon thinks a carseat is not essential??
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:48 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• JGRIMMER...
    "I'll take "smartass answer for 200 Alex!!""
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My husband holds her really tight, plus it's hard to soothe her while we ride, it makes life a lot easier!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2010