What is the difference in Nazarene church's and Baptist?

I visited a Nazarene church this morning and liked i pretty well but I normally go to Baptist church's. So does anyone know what the difference beetween the 2 church's are?

mrcameronsmom

Asked by mrcameronsmom at 7:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• ?? sorry...wish I could help, but I honestly don't know.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 8:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I was raised Nazarene and now I have joined a baptist church as an adult. They are based on the same principals, they are both bible believing. The main differences I've noticed are that the nazarene church is more judgemental, alot stricter, and I guess it's a poor word, but all I can think to really describe it "snooty", the baptist church that I joined (which may not be a good representative of all baptists I don't know) but in my experience, the baptist church is much more loving, accepting (not tolerant per-say of sin) but more genuine and just live as best they can to strive for Christlikeness and to spread the good news to others. The baptist church has been where we truly found a home, and it's just very much more open arms loving than the nazarene church. My dh and I were both raised nazarene. The beliefs are the same though, baptists just seem to be more inviting and genuine the way you expect real Christians to be.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Doctrinaly I can think of a few things. Baptists believe in eternal security, that nothing you can do can make you lose your salvation, even denying God's existence. From what I know, Nazarene's believe that certain things can make you lose salvation such as murder, denying God, and suicide. But there is nothing biblically to back that up. I also believe they teach that baptism is essential to salvation, and bapists believe in repentance only. Baptists (at least Independent) use only the KJV and Nazarene's use any version of the Bible.
    Those are a few things I can think of right now.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 9:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I've never heard of the "losing your salvation" thing. After being raised Nazarene, and now attending baptist 3x's per week, I've never heard anything about that, and it's my understanding that you have to believe and accept Christ as your personal savior, if you make mistakes or poor choices but repent and still believe Jesus is the only way then your salvation stands. It's not gained or lost by works.

Nazarene's dont use ANY version of the bible. That is a dangerous thing to say they use the NIV most commonly. And baptism is not essential in your salvation, biblically it is something you should do as a step to take, after you accept Christ as your personal savior, but nobody knows the heart like God and if you don't fulfill that step, either of these religions toss you out so as to say your salvation is in jeopardy if you don't fulfill that step. It's about what's in your heart, not ritual.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• I attended the Nazarene church for almost 30 years (not that I should have to mention this AGAIN, since I have said it so often.) Nazarene's believe in NO in just about everything. Until a few years ago, divorce was considered a sin and divorced people who remarried...well, they weren't allowed inside the church. Widows who remarried were tolerated. No jewelry, other than a watch or a wedding ring. Modest attire--long skirts, proper suits. Simple hairdos. No dancing, no movies, no t.v. No anything that might be considered fun. Behavior inside the church was to be restrained. Unlike the Baptists that I knew in Ark., there was no shouting, no jumping up and down in fits of ecstacy, no dancing in the aisles, no baptism of babies or anyone not old enough to understand about being saved. They sang all their songs as if they were funeral dirges. Solemn. Dignified. Controlled. (shudder!!!!)
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Ashley, what I said is just my understanding from talking to people that attend the Nazarene church in my area. They do teach that you can lose your salvation, they don't use any certain version, just whatever fits what they're saying, and my husband said I'm wrong about the baptism thing so I stand corrected. :)
    I am baptist and if someone is saved and doesn't get baptised they are not kicked out or forbidden to come, they just don't become a "member" of the church. Our church never pushes someone to be baptized.
    But I believe Nazarene church are like Independent Baptists where we don't have an organization or "Pope" telling us what we believe and when things change so an IFB church in one state could believe completely different things than a church in another state, or even across town. Because we're independent and form our own set and beleifs based on the Bible and Jesus' teachings. We don't belong to a convention.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 12:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• First I think it's very important you do your own homework and research when learning about a new religion you are unfamiliar with, instead of just listening to what some people "think" that religion may be. No, baptism is not required, it's just a belief that it's an outward sign of an inward change. Also, we use the bible, most times in this day and age, the NIV, because it's the most easily read by new believers just coming into any kind of faith. We do believe that you can lose your salvation, based on Hebrews 10:26-28 "if you go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains the sacrifice for sins, but fearful expectation to judgment." This clearly states the person already has the knowledge of Christ. You need to "shop" churches. Each has there own "atmosphere." I go to an extremely loving and genuine Nazarene Church, after growing up catholic. I wouldn't go anywhere else
    suzash

Answer by suzash at 12:44 AM on Sep. 15, 2014

• A very good friend of mine is an ordained Nazarene preacher and former pastor. I am IFB, and we get into intense discussions about this matter. The reason for disagreement is that our perspectives come from two different frameworks. To use Suzash's Sep 15 posting as an example: I see He. 10:26-28 as a clear declaration that a saved person CANNOT lose their salvation. I notice that my friend and others that believe (as John Wesley preached) that you can lose salvation, seem to frequently take the scripture out of context. (They don't intend to be malicious or deceitful.) That passage teaches that you cannot be saved again. If you go out and start living in sin, you have already been saved. There's no more sacrifice.(Neither is any other sacrifice needed.) What you can do is repent, ask God's forgiveness, and be restored to fellowship. But your testimony is tarnished with the world. More later if needed...
    Manchu

Answer by Manchu at 5:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2014