Children with peanut/tree nuts allergies - Please read

Hi there:

My daughter is almost 4 and had a reaction to peanut butter. Long story short we are to keep her away from all nut products. Can you tell me how you deal with birthday parties etc. with out having to continuously explain her situation. She has a birthday coming up and I guess I will have to bring her own piece of cake etc. this is a tough thing to have to deal with daily. Any experienced Mom's out there dealing with this also and feel the same? The Doctor said we will have her re-tested at age 5 and it may just go away which I pray it will. Also, what about school time? this is so worrisome!! I know alot of schools (well where I live in British Columbia, Canada) ban peanut butter but I guess ya can't control everything.

Thank-you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, milk, and eggs. Today was his 3rd birthday. I make him special cupcakes. I will freeze a bunch and bring them to parties just for him. Yup, it's hard. I hate it. It's so unfair. And I've just gotten used to explaining the situation. I think most people think I'm paranoid, but I've just learned to deal with it. It's my son's life after all.

I have no advice on school yet. All I know is that I'll be scared to death when we reach that point! He will have an epi-pen on him at all times and know how to use it. Also, I want to make sure his teachers, etc. know how to use it. Possibly even a few of his close little friends in case something happens at recess/lunch.
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 11:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Our younger daughter's grade school was peanut free because of a child who had severe allergies. They stopped selling candy bars because they were made in a factory with nuts and everything for parties had to be preapproved. I was on the PTA and we had to change the fund raisiers we did (no food products), stop movie day popcorn (she was allergic to that too) and no more candy goodie bags for holidays. Once a child brought a PB sandwich to school for lunch and the parents were called to bring something else. So, if your school cracks down like ours did your daughter should be pretty protected. In my classroom, I always let parents know what allergies we have and send a reminder with the snack bag of things that aren't allowed. I also have parents bring alternative snacks for their kids in case we get something they aren't allowed to have. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• GL with this! I am not sure so here is a bump! <3
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 8:19 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Hi thank you for your comment I feel for you that you have to worry about milk and eggs/products as well wow I know I agree it is unfair and a real drag and pain. But like you said its our kids life! I know teachers have to be trained for the EPI pen as well.

thnx to you to Glamourina & scout mom for your comment
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 12:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My 3 year old had three kids with that allergy last year. It seems to be very common and an accepted restriction.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Good Luck.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2010