Flooding affecting MILLIONS in Pakistan, Will this affect the wars?

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Sunday he has never seen anything like the flood disaster in Pakistan after surveying the devastation and urged foreign donors to speed up assistance to the 20 million people affected.

Ban's comments reflect the concern of the international community about the unfolding disaster in Pakistan, which is battling al-Qaida and Taliban militants, has a weak and unpopular government, and an anemic economy propped up by international assistance.

"This has been a heart-wrenching day for me," Ban said after flying over the hard-hit areas with President Asif Ali Zardari. "I will never forget the destruction and suffering I have witnessed today. In the past I have witnessed many natural disasters around the world, but nothing like this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/15/pakistan-floods-ban-ki-moon_n_682649.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There is no way they want anything happening in Pakistan in the news until after November, not even the floods as human interest story. We're supposed to forget Pakistan exists (and that we're flying unmanned drones over it on a regular basis). Any impact this has will be kept under wraps.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• The news is saying it's Pakistan's Katrina. Well if thats true I say we do NOTHING for them and let em figure it out for themselves just like we did for the REAL Katrina victims! They hate us over there. Even when we give aid and food AND lots of money they still hate us. I say fuck em! Let em figure it out on their own!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Haven't heard about it affecting the war at all. Maybe it isn't. I thought it was weird they were not talking about that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:27 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think it can have a big impact since a lot of equipment would come from Afghanistan (ie helicopters for food drops). The only person who can make that call is Obama. I am going to look at this from the admins pov. The Admin has said they are about winning over the Muslims overseas, not wanting to be seen as the bad guys... Well, in order to keep that and not have that bite them in the ass they are obligated to provide all the aid they say we should give... even meaning taking funds from the war in Afghanistan, taking supplies, and equipment out, etc.

My opinion is we should do what we can... I know regardless of how much we give we will be "The Evil US". Look we went to help Haiti and were accused of causing the EQ and occupying it! We should not do anything to jeopardize our troops. Thinking we can decrease aggressive ops in hopes the militants would too is foolish and will only increase the death toll of our men.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:49 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Me too...I would think this could change things on many levels...I don't know why people aren't asking the questions.

is their government going to work more with us for some aid??

Are they in danger of being taken over by militant groups , some say their were already moles....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Maybe the threat of cholera will either flush out al khaida (sp?) hiding in Pakistan.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:03 AM on Aug. 16, 2010