Whooping Cough, once eradicated, is now back on the rise?

For those parents who choose NOT to vaccinate, does this worry you?!

From the article:
California is in the midst of its worst outbreak of whooping cough in a half-century. More than 2,700 cases have been reported so far this year — eight times last year's number at this point. Seven of the victims, all infants, have died.

The California epidemic has raised plenty of questions about the role of vaccination and the increasing numbers of parents who decide not to vaccinate their children. California's Department of Public Health cites three schools in the state where 80 percent of parents have signed a "personal belief exemption" to keep their children from being vaccinated.

The good news is — we have a large body of information now to show zero association between vaccines and autism.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129198775

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 8:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• When we stop using the preventatives that have proven time and time again to halt these diseases, we open the doors for them to kill again. So sad.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• it was never eradicated. The reason it is on the rise is because more people are choosing NOT to vaccinate. No disease is completely "gone".
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes, thank you everybody who chooses not to vaccinate!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• This is one of the reasons I vaccinate. Not too long after my daughter had gotten all of her vaccinations against whooping cough, I got whooping cough. I was sick for months, couldn't sleep, couldn't breath, couldn't eat, threw up at least 10 times a day, lost a lot of weight. If it was so bad for me, it would be a lot worse for a baby or child. I can't imagine not protecting a child from that.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 8:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think that the parents who don't vaccinate are more than knowledgable about the diseases and it is up to them to protect their children how they see fit.

As far as those who vaccinate....if the vaccinations work then there is nothing to worry about.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 9:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Did anyone see Penn And Teller Bullshit this week. It was on vaccines. So good. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I sadly started out completely overwhelmed and upset over the lack of knowledge on the whole vaccines vs autism that i did delay his vaccines, not all of them but the ones I was scared of until I had all the time to research - I wasn't even aware of a scare until I had given birth to him or I would have started researching earlier - he got updated on all by the time he was 2-1/2 and the only thing he got ( luckily ) was rotavirus and that was one of the vaccines he was given!!! arg... but either way - I truly don't believe people understand the harm they are setting out for their child and others children, I think most parents are just scared about their childs lives and futures.. I was lucky enough to have a very smart, educated mother to help me with the MOUNDS of research on this subject or I would have stayed just as scared and shut down
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:07 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• and to gaill.. Not ALL Of us CAN breastfeed so lets let this one go also - I CRIED for days when I realized I couldn't BF -and that was after 2 months and LLL and lactation consultation and hospital trips
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• it worries me and my children get vaccinated
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 9:09 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Gaill I would like to see the article you are siting with your statistic about deaths related to not breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2010