Why is prayer powerful when it works in your favor, but free will is the culprit when bad things happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Faith.
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 8:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Conditioning. People are conditioned to believe that when something good happens it's because God was involved and when there is "evil" afoot it's their own flaws or the devil who's behind it... Taking credit for themselves would be taking credit away from god...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Not everyone understands that sometimes the answer to a prayer is "no"

Answer by rkoloms at 8:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• yes but dying isnt a "no" answer to prayer. I don't know the answer to the OP but I certainly understand the question. If my premature baby with a heart problem lives, then it's because we prayed and God answered (hypothetically of course). However, if my sister dies in a car accident it's what's that all about? That's what the OP is saying right?
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 9:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Jesus is always behind the winning touchdown and the Grammy award, but Jesus never makes anyone fumble or sing off key.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I believe EVERYTHING comes from G-d: both the seemingly good and the seemingly bad. And ultimately everything is for the good, it's just my own perspective and the fact that I'm limited by time and space that I perceive some things as "bad". And if the answer to my prayers is "no" or "not yet" than that's what's best for me at this time.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Touche. I always wonder the same thing. I look at bad things happening as something that has to happen so something else (hopefully good) can happen. Or as a challenge to try to overcome. Obviously some things are worst than other things and thankfully I've never LOST a person (like a sister or mom) - well, no I lost my grandpa. Anyway. I agree with SabrinaMBowen

Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• thats why i came to the conclusion that prayer isnt to God so much as for us to feel better. talking about your problems/feelings to anyone makes us feel better and thats what i think the purpose of prayer is. God may hear us but i dont think he messes w/ us as much as we think He does.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Prayer can give you strength to face a situation with a right spirit...not changing events per se.
    Jesus prayed in the garden of Gethsemene before his betrayal "Oh, my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."
    Prayer in faith gave Christ the right spirit to face the cross experience. Love kept him there.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 10:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Free will is actually at the root of all things, both good and horrible. God can help, sure, and sometimes I'm sure that when bad things happen to good people sometimes it really can be the result of something evil plaguing them. But more often than not, the things that happen in our lives are a result of our choices. Prayer can help, sure. But sometimes the answer to our prayer, whether it's an answer that we want or not, is God simply pointing out to us the direction we need to go. Sometimes we don't always get what we want when we want it.

You know where you'll be able to find your best answer to this question? Watch the movie "Bruce Almighty". While a very funny and, at times, irreverent movie, there are MANY good points in there about prayer and God, right down to: You want change? Make the change yourself. As Ghandi said: "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    PaganMommy04

Answer by PaganMommy04 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2010