Do you think you should also be your child's friend?

Just curious! Some parents say no, some yes. I think I'm in the middle!

krystyia

Asked by krystyia at 8:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• it's a nice bonus, but you should ALWAYS be a parent first.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No, I am his parent. Can I be his confindant? Someone he can count on and go to when he is sad, happy, angry, etc? Yes, but that falls under being a parent. When you are friends with your kids, that is when boundaries are crossed, rules are ignored and there are no consequences for inappropriate behaviors.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I agree with 2autisticsmom
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 8:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No. I am her parent. We are close, we enjoy a wonderful relationship, but I am her parent. I make and enforce the rules and decisions.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I do - My mother was my best friend, of course I went through my crappy teen moments and didn't realize HOW much I depended on her and how much I went to her til later, but I always knew I could talk openly with my mom and was never afraid or felt the need to lie and it also made me respect her and US enough to not want to do things to upset her or make her sad or worry.. She is still my best friend at 32.... I will never buy my son smokes or liqour to be his friend but I sure hope he will come to me like I went to my mother
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Absolutely not. We get lots of friends in our lives; we get one mother and one father.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Absolutely. My mom has always been my best friend. She was also always my parent, but since she was my friend as well I would always share everything with her. I had friends who were not like that with their moms who they weren't friends with.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I will be a parent first. I will always be there for my kids and I would love to be involved in their hobbies. However, they need to know that above all else, I am their mother.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• YES! If they aren't comfortable with you on a one on one "friend" level, they will never be able to be completely open and honest with you about things... One of my best friends has been best friends with her mother since I can remember... To this day they have a wonderful relationship and there was never a conflict between "parent" and "friend." In fact her mother and I have been good friends for years as well. I was able to go to her as a kid/teen with things I could never be honest with my mom about. She was a better mom than my mom was... I'm modeling my parenting more after her than after my own mother...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2010