i am 25 weeks pregnant and can i lay on my back?

when i sleep i feel so much better on my back just wanted to know if it was safe.

effie777

Asked by effie777 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It's safe as long as YOU feel comfortable doing so. I'm not far behind you and lay on my back all the time
    Kristen_Chez

Answer by Kristen_Chez at 12:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• well, doctors tell you not to after a certain time in your pregnancy because you can actually be depriving the baby of the blood from the cord because when you lay on your back the cord is usually towards your back and the baby will lay on it. the best thing to do is lay on your left side but i would advise going and talking to your doctor. if he/she says its ok then have at it but until then try laying on your sides.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• They say not to, because the weight from your uterus can cut off circulation to your two femoral arteries, but I did and never had a problem (just don't tell my doctor!) Something else to try is a pillow between your legs. Not some flimsy flat pillow, but a good firm fluffy pillow. That helped me a lot to sleep, it took the pressure off of my lower back.

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• they eventually recommend you sleep on your left side, as that doesnt block some vein lol not sure why, but it sure did help... especially with the muscle cramps, i practically slept with a gallon jug of water the last two trimesters.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I'm 29 weeks and I lay on my back every chance I get.

As long as you're not uncomfortable, do what you want. If your baby is uncomfortable he/she will let you know by forcing your body to become short of breath =] You know what's best for your body.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I did not because my legs would fall asleep. Then I heard the weight of the baby presses down on certain arteries and cut off the blood flow and oxygen to the placenta. Knowing my legs were falling asleep, I assumed that's what was causing it, so I didn't do it after that because of the baby.

McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 1:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2008